Uses of hydrogen peroxide for germination & propagation

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Uses of hydrogen peroxide for germination & propagation

Post by stevelau1911 »

Has anyone ever tried germinating seeds with a a diluted dose of hydrogen peroxide which is supposed to increase germination rate, as well as fight off bacteria/ fungi?

It looks like it is commonly used for newly propagated plants, germinating seeds as well as invigorating weakened plants as hydrogen peroxide gives off oxygen. It is available anywhere so I think I might want to give it a try on some of my tree peony seeds to see if it makes a difference, or prevents that mold that seems to attack almost any seed. It looks like people sometimes soak seeds in a diluted solution for around 15 minutes, or add a bit of it to the germination medium and it is supposed to aid in breaking dormancy as well.

Here's a few articles on it
http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2009/02 ... ation.html

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/ ... arden.html

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hydrogen ... lants.html

I think this may be something worth looking into for germination of new seeds, transplanting, dividing or any form of propagation of plants, especially the ones that are harder to grow.
sersul
Location info: 0

Re: Uses of hydrogen peroxide for germination & propagation

Post by sersul »

Hi stevelau1911
Did you try something with that? Do you have any results?
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I never ended up trying it since I already found that most seeds germinate perfectly fine outdoors under full sun the best. Rainwater has natural hydrogen peroxide, and I have a pretty good system of sprouting tree peony seeds by now.

They have a pretty high germination rate after being planted 2-3 inches deep in a flower bed.
sersul

Post by sersul »

Hi, stevelau1911,
Thank you. I could't reply immediately cause I was a couple days at Dead See vacation over here :roll: .
Why I ask about a hydrogen peroxide. I know that while a seeds germination we should use some fungicide. But when I come every time to local plans store or greenhouse here, the staff do not understand what I mean. No one did not hear that remedy: Fungicide :( . I believe there are a lot of other things to fight with fungi here but I do not know the names of its.
I started to look for this precious :) fungicide in the web. Here is DIY fungicide I find out:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

What do you think about that? Will it do the trick? Or anyway using with hydrogen peroxide is better way?
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Are you also trying to germinate tree peony seedlings or something else very hard to germinate?

I have messed around with all types of growing mediums, fungicides, and sometimes I can prevent mold from forming, but it didn't necessarily give me very good germination rates. I found that planting seeds directly into the ground 2-3 inches deep has consistently given me the best results, at least for tree peony seeds. It is best to try and recreate the conditions in which they would germinate in their natural habitat.
sersul

Post by sersul »

I meant bamboo seeds. Do you think that DIY fungicide would work?
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I really doubt it.

I've tried them with fungicide and without fungicide, and if seeds are dead, they will get moldy regardless of any fungicide.