Termites?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Termites?

Post by foxd »

I split a culm the other day and had wood powder pour out of it. The culms looked like this and I hope it is termite damage, not powder post beetle or whater it is called. Does this damage look familiar to anyone else?

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Termites?

Post by Alan_L »

Can't help on the ID, but was this on a dead culm still attached to the plant, or a cane that you had drying somewhere?
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Can't help on the ID, but was this on a dead culm still attached to the plant, or a cane that you had drying somewhere?
Dead cane that had been damaged when the big Walnut tree landed on it. Every chance I get I work on the mess.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Akumanubis
Location info: 0

Post by Akumanubis »

Most likely powderpost beetles. You can tell by the kind of D shaped holes on the exterior.

Termites tend not to have exit holes. They don't like exposure to the outside world.

Happy exterminating!
foxd

Post by foxd »

Akumanubis wrote:Most likely powderpost beetles. You can tell by the kind of D shaped holes on the exterior.
Considering that I'm in Southern Indiana, the idea that I have powderpost beetles is kind of scary. :shock:

For what it is worth I only found one cane like this.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Dan, powder post beetles are very common here, you nearly always find them in native lumber from the many local sawmills - you really have to watch for it. I actually had them once eating LONG channels in sheets of the blue rigid styrofoam sheathing :roll:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com