Return of the Aphids of Doom

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Return of the Aphids of Doom

Post by foxd »

Once again the Aphids of Doom have shown up on the plants I moved indoors for the Winter. Their targets this Winter seem to be the Anderson Clone, Pl. viridistriatus and a Key Lime Tree. The odd thing about the Key Lime Tree is they ignored the leaves and attached themselves to the branches. The systemic doesn't seem to be working either.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Return of the Aphids of Doom

Post by dependable »

Years ago, I tried to bring plants inside for winter enjoyment & growing, they got aphids and or white flies. At one point I had a 20 gal 10 ft p nigra crawling w critters that I did not want to put in cold because it wasn't acclimated. Think it was infected by gift Pointsetta. It even had a leaf drop. And the kids were not willing to accept it as a Christmas tree.
sully0family

Post by sully0family »

Maybe that's what my Red Margin had. I have a quick post respond on the Vivax by the window; I bought the four Reds in :? the end of Nov. and potted them for indoor planting, then about 2 weeks later there were at least 2 types of very small insects on them and sap all over the floor. I ended up putting them in the ground in Dec. :?:
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Plants usually get washed by rain, dew and mist in nature (well, unless your a desert plant...). Indoors we really dont encourage rainfall, and misting only goes so far, so I do my best to bring what plants I can into the shower and rinse the hell out of them. ITs also a good idea, because this also flushes the salt/excess fertilizer out of the pot. ITs also easier using insecticide (Safers soap or other), because you can just rinse it off, and there is also usually a fan in the bathroom.

ALso, in my experience, I tend to end up bringing in some lady bugs when I bring my plants in for the winter (I counted 15 this year!) They devour aphids. I only noticed them, after i sprayed and washed my plants a few weeks ago, so I probably had more. They wont infest your house either.

Either way, its almost impossible not to have any pests on your houseplants. I do my best to limit them, and washing them definitely makes a difference in my experience.