Advice on mite control

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Advice on mite control

Post by bamboothew »

I have some potted appalachiana divisions that are infected with some sort of mite, I think. I didn't notice the damage when I took the divisions from the wild grove but visited the wild grove yesterday and found it to have the same damage, so I undoubtedly transported the buggers to my house from the wild grove, arggh! They are tiny, about the size of pinpricks, and white or clear. The leaf damage they are causing looks like pictures I have seen of mite damage, yellowish spots running parallel to the leaf veins. I have quarantined the plants and sprayed them thoroughly with a strong jet of water. If the problem persists I will try some soap, as I want to stay way from systemic insecticides if at all possible. My question is this: will the affected leaves (pretty much all the leaves on the potted divisions of that species only) continue to look damaged until the leaves are replaced or will they look better once the mites stop attacking them? Also, is it effective and safe for the plant if I simply remove the affected leaves and let the plants make new ones, or would that severely weaken the divisions? Keep in mind that most of the leaves are affected. These divisions are stabilized and have put up numerous new shoots. Thanks for any and all advice you guys may have!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Advice on mite control

Post by marcat »

Iclopromid (Merit)
MarCat
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Insecticidal soap will work on smaller plants, but you need to make sure you coat the underside of every leaf. There are recipes for making your own, but you need to use an actual soap, not a detergent. I think Murphy's oil soap is mentioned, and a few others that aren't as common.

I don't think that the leaves recover after being damaged -- the white parts stay white. I would not remove all of the damaged leaves if the plants are small, as those leaves are still producing.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

In the case of mites and other sucking insects, I would use the systemic insecticide unless it was a flowering plant.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Dan: why systemic?

The problem I always have with systemics is you have no idea what the correct dosage is. For potted plants not such a big deal because I think there are dosages for pots, but for in-ground groves who knows what strength to use.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Dan: why systemic?

The problem I always have with systemics is you have no idea what the correct dosage is. For potted plants not such a big deal because I think there are dosages for pots, but for in-ground groves who knows what strength to use.
Well the sprays have to get all the possible hiding spots on the plant and there is considerable slop in spraying, while the systemics just have to be absorbed by the plant and spread through the whole system.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks guys, I will probably try a homemade soap recipe before I would try a systemic, just my preference. Will let you know how it turns out.
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mathew I have an major dislike for the concept of systemics but after much research on the iclopromid stuff I became some what more comfortable about using it. It is very effective. Oh it is used in Frontline I think (one of those real effectve Vet proscribe types) for protecting dogs from fleas,ticks ect. Pet owners are very protective of their little darlings. And they consider it safe.
Still wouldn't use it on some thing I am going to eat.
MarCat
marcat

Post by marcat »

Thought I might mention that Beyer sell a home gardner version Called' Tree And Shrub (protect and feed)' that some one can use to test the effectiveness of Imidacloprid(sorry guys this is the right spelling of the main ingrediant I was really way off earlier) Why do they think adding fertilizer will help sell the product I haven't a clue.
Merit is pricey but goes a long long long way. For those with nursery's check out Adonis that comes in a larger package but at about 1/4 the price.
MarCat
Alan

Post by Alan »

i think using a little of the bayer systemic (granular) stuff works well to keep the mites away or to keep them under control, but for a bad infestation it's really hard to get rid of them all. i suggest using something on the underside of the leaves a few times a few days apart to get the new hatchlings before they lay their eggs and then use systemic to kill off what's left. after that removing infested leaves might help to keep them away, but it's sometimes hard to tell between an active infestation and a place where they were killed off but part of the tent remains. i have tried many things with limited success. two cold winters and removing all the mite magnet s. fastuosa did more good than anything. i even once tried dipping a flexible young grove of nigra right into a barrel of solution (messy & it didnt work). the plants may look ratty until new leaves replace the ones that were infested. also if it gets really bad be careful not to transport them to a nursery or large grove somewhere else.
-alan in seattle
zone8
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks, guys. I have been spraying the plants with a strong spray of water ever 3 days or so trying to see what that does. Haven't found any evidence of live insects since I started that. Did scour Lowe's for chemical remedies the other day when I happened to be in there and the only systemic they have is the Beyer Protect and Feed, which was very expensive so I left it at Lowe's :) Got some neem oil concentrate while I was there since I am pretty sure I will need some of that eventually anyway. Has anyone found the neem oil to be effective? Still have the soap remedy in mind as well. By the way, the protect and feed specifially said not to use on potted plants, but not sure why?!
God Bless,

Matthew

Alan

Post by Alan »

i have tried neem oil. it stuck to the leaves well but then when the sun came out the next day the leaves burned. it seemed like the plant suffered more from the neem oil than the mites.
-alan in seattle
zone8