Root gloop and mould

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

JohnR
Location info: 0

Root gloop and mould

Post by JohnR »

Hi everyone. My first post as a newbie is a cry for help. We have a large stand of phyllostachis nigra in our garden here in the south of the UK which, until last winter was thriving and bushy. Now the mature culms seem to be dying slowly, from the top down. About a quarter of then are dead or dying already. Also, I have just noticed that some of the new shoots from last year seemed to have been killed in various stages of growth, as have new leaf furls before they could open.

Last winter was very cold (-15 deg. C), which I suppose might be connected, but I only noticed the problem about a month ago. At the same time, a few new shoots are appearing. If I dig into the dead leaf mulch around the base of the stands, I find mouldy mulch and what looks like mouldy culm bases -- see pic. The smell of mould is obvious from yards away.

I have just discovered pervading the ground around the roots what I can only describe as white "gloop" with red blotches, which forms festoons if you touch it. Disgusting. See pic.

And finally, the pic below shows white powder on a dead culm.

The stand comprises six clumps, which have not spread much in the 12 years since they were planted, and you can still walk between them. Only 2 or 3 clumps at one side seem to be affected.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Root gloop and mould

Post by Alan_L »

Unless somebody posts some specific advice, I'd remove all of the mulch and let the soil dry out a bit. Don't put the same mulch back!

Is the soil here very wet for long periods of time, or have you had more rain than usual lately?

I'm guessing the goop is some sort of slime mold, which isn't a problem in itself. Maybe though -- I've never seen red before.
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Root gloop and mould

Post by marcat »

Go with Alans ideas and ad a load of copper based fungicide. I have succsess withit on molds before.
MarCat