Name the vermin...

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Name the vermin...

Post by mantis »

Planted this B. emeiensis on Sunday. Went to water it today, and found this...
0323110923_sm3.jpg
There appeared to be rabbit poop all over the ground, but it is too high to be rabbit damage. I guess it could be deer, as they've destroyed a bunch of other trees I've planted (rubbing damage).
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Name the vermin...

Post by David »

Rabbit cut a sharp angled cut with their opposing incisors usually below about 12". Deer have no upper teeth in the front and tear off what they eat and leave a ragged edge. Rabbit poop and a small deer have almost indistinguishable poop except perhaps to a poopologist. Deer are curious and will take a bite of almost anything new in their surroundings. I'm going with deer or perhaps a hungry child.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Thanks for the reply. We've had bamboo in the ground at the farm for about a year, and this was the first damage we've seen. Hopefully the deer won't develop a taste for new shoots, and will leave them alone in the future.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Which is worse, having them eat shoots, or having them bite the young culms off like they did? Hopefully you don't find out.
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

A good poopologist is hard to find! :lol:
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi