Do woodchucks dig around?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Do woodchucks dig around?

Post by Alan_L »

Unfortunately after a break of a couple of years, a woodchuck now lives behind my next-door neighbor's yard, and he's been coming into my yard (of course). I've seen nibbles on some division-induced shoots on my Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu', so I'm going to have to fence that one off in the spring I think, but that's off topic.

The main reason I'm posting is I've noticed a lot of what looks like exploratory digging, or rooting in my yard. It looks to me like any mole tunnel was dug up in several places, and the area around my woodpile is completely dug up. It's not deep digging -- just 3-4". Since woodchucks are herbivores (I think) I don't suspect it's the one doing the digging, but I don't know. Anybody know if woodchucks do this?

I know skunks dig a lot -- could it be a skunk? I've heard that armadillos are moving into our area -- are they nocturnal? I guess it could be a coyote.

Any guesses?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Do woodchucks dig around?

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Unfortunately after a break of a couple of years, a woodchuck now lives behind my next-door neighbor's yard, and he's been coming into my yard (of course). I've seen nibbles on some division-induced shoots on my Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu', so I'm going to have to fence that one off in the spring I think, but that's off topic.

The main reason I'm posting is I've noticed a lot of what looks like exploratory digging, or rooting in my yard. It looks to me like any mole tunnel was dug up in several places, and the area around my woodpile is completely dug up. It's not deep digging -- just 3-4". Since woodchucks are herbivores (I think) I don't suspect it's the one doing the digging, but I don't know. Anybody know if woodchucks do this?

I know skunks dig a lot -- could it be a skunk? I've heard that armadillos are moving into our area -- are they nocturnal? I guess it could be a coyote.

Any guesses?
I have had many bad experiences with woodchucks. They are voracious herbivores. They are very destructive in their digging habits and can move up to a cubic meter of dirt to make their burrows. They can charge at high speed and ram through fences and can climb trees when threatened with an axe.

Armadillos are nocturnal and carry leprosy.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Armadillos are nocturnal and carry leprosy.
And they are tough as an old tire if you don't cook them right.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

the way you describe it sounds like an armadillo. It will be digging up bugs. Strictly an insectivore. messes up your lawn but not a problem ather wise . Do not handle it (catch it by hand) as yes they do carry leprosy only athe animal other than people.
MarCat
Oh and do not startle it, they jump strait up about three feet will scare the hell out of you.