Ok, what are these??

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

05PSD
Location info: 0

Ok, what are these??

Post by 05PSD »

These suckers are ALL OVER all of my young bamboo. What are these??

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Ok, what are these??

Post by Alan_L »

That's too blurry for me to tell. Eggs of some sort? Can you take a clearer photo?
05PSD

Post by 05PSD »

Sorry Alan, that's as clear as my camera gets on the Macro function. Well the stuff peels off just like shedding snake skin. Very odd...
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

They look like spider eggs. I had somthing similar on a maple tree before. They looked sorta like a computor chip sorta
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
05PSD

Post by 05PSD »

You could be right. There are a bunch of spiders making webs on my bamboos.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Looks like spider eggs. I get those all the time. I have been trying to take pictures of all the different types of spiders at the farm. Last year, a HUGE tarantula jumped on my chest... scared me half to death.

Here is a picture of the spiders this year. It seems that these have taken over and I don't see a lot of others like I did in the past.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I was going to say that I thought that most (all?) spiders created egg cases, and didn't lay their eggs "flat" like that. Interesting! (I've seen other insects lay eggs like that, but not usually that many.)

BTW, what model camera do you have? It surprises me that it can't focus better than that in macro mode.
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

You are right Alan. Did a little research and spider eggs don't look like that. Interesting!!! We have so many spiders, I didn't think any other bug could survive. In the early morning, you have to watch walking around in the bamboo because of all the spider webs. I found a number of pictures that looked similar, so I am backing out of the "what is this" search. On the Dave's Garden website, a similar one turned out ot be milkweed bug eggs.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

boonut wrote:you have to watch walking around in the bamboo because of all the spider webs.
What, you don't like spider web in the face?

I walked right into one the other morning -- over my glasses, hair, face. Luckily there was no spider sitting in the middle of it.

I think the only way that we're going to solve the "what is it" mystery is if one of those leaves is put into a covered jar and see what hatches.
boonut

Post by boonut »

Sounds like a plan!!!! Post the pics as they hatch.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Leptidoptera eggs Moths or Butterflys just a guess but thats what they look like.Closest looking I can find are cut worms.
MarCat
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Those little balls look like army worm eggs to me. Basically a moth lands on your leaf and lays like a thousand of these things which become eating machines that can destroy anything in its path. :mrgreen:

I had a pretty bad infestation in my greenhouse last fall with this stuff. Here's a close up of it. I did properly dispose of of this leaf after taking this picture.