Help! My Semiarundinaria f. is infested with Bamboo mites

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

lrss
Location info: 51

Help! My Semiarundinaria f. is infested with Bamboo mites

Post by lrss »

Has anybody used "Bayer Advanced Garden Tree & Shrub Insect Control" to kill bamoo mites? Does it work?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Help! My Semiarundinaria f. is infested with Bamboo mites

Post by Alan_L »

If you use this forum's search function, search for "Bayer" and you'll find several discussions about it. The consensus is that it *does* work.

There are 2 complications though. The first is what dosage to use and how often to apply. The second is you may not know for a year whether the mites are gone or not (until new leaves are produced).
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I second what Alan said- I use the shrub dose, and have had to dose up to 3 times for complete control, that is all with small plants that I have recieved in trades from people. I have never tried to use it on a large existing grove.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

We should add dosage info to the wiki or somewhere. It would be nice to have a table compiled with the dosage people used, the size of the plant, and the results.

"The shrub dose" listed on the package seemed crazy to me, something like 3 oz. for every foot of height. Well, if I have a single 10-ft culm, that's the whole bottle. If instead I have ten 10-ft. culms, that's the same dosage according to the "shrub" directions.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

on the plants I have been successful in using it on, all were small- one gallon size divisions with several small culms. I think if I were doing a single culm plant, I would use a bit less, but still, I would rather treat once, and have it gone, than have to do it multiple times, or risk the mites geting to another boo also. 3 oz is alot, but if you have success with it in small plants, then I think it would be worth it. I have used it at lower doses, and had to re treat on the boos with mites, however, at lower doses it still works very well on aphids.