What is this? (pics)

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambookid524
Location info: 0

What is this? (pics)

Post by bambookid524 »

I have seen this numerous times before and never found out what it was until a few of my plants got it.
I have been told it is definitly rust, and I have been told it is definitly NOT rust so i want to get this straight so i can treat it.
It had only gotten to three of my small plants before i noticed, and moved the rest away.

they are little blotches of orangish, yellow on the leaves, mainly on the tops. It does not scratch away with fingernails and kills some leaves every now and then

I have also heard it may be from the cold weather or the cold temps, although these plants are all very hardy phyllostachys'

Here are some pics:

This is a leaf from my Ph. Aurea (1st to show these spots)

Tip of a new Ph. Aureosulcata leaf, with signs of this pest just starting to show

Phyllostachys Nigra

The spots showed up on the Aurea and Aureosulcata before winter kicked in

I can tell the Nigra isnt really liking the cold too much though because all leaves have slight discoloration but it is warming up a bit, so the leaves should gain color, but the spots are definitly there

Please help me Identify this pest and if you know any way to control it PLEASE let me know.

thanks a ton :)

Steve
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: What is this? (pics)

Post by bepah »

Take out your magnifying glass and look for small (0.2 mm) eggs, black.

If you find them, you probably have thrips.

There are a million other sucking insects out there. Depending on your location, they should be dormant right now.

Good luck.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Steve. I think those are just used up leaves ready to drop anyway. I would not worry about it unless you actually see a pest sucking on the leaves. Even then they very likely will not seriously harm your your plants. Aphids will sometimes suck on the leaves in the spring, and the damage show up as the leaf is getting ready to fall anyway. Hate to kill the beneficials with pesticides but if you need to treat then systemic drenches probably impact fewer good bugs.

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bambookid524
Location info: 0

Post by bambookid524 »

Ok thanks guys
I will let them sit for now and see how things turn out. They did have a bit of aphid damage a fewonths ago but he ladybugs fixedd that so it could just be the damged leaves falling off, alhougj some fresh leaves are starting to get some small white spots

I'll just wait and see what happens.
Thanks

Steve