Wood Peckers

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Wood Peckers

Post by boonut »

I talked to Chuck Thoreaux this evening from Bountiful Earth (New Smyrna Beach, Florida). He says his bamboo, especially the Parker Giant are getting holes from wood peckers. Anyone else seen this? Any recommendations other than "shooting them".
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: Wood Peckers

Post by bepah »

Shoot 'em twice
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

If the culms are large enough, are they trying to make nests? Do certain bugs make a home in the holes?

I'm not too familiar with how wood peckers operate and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for quite some time, so I'm not qualified to help.
Rick
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Wood Peckers

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:I talked to Chuck Thoreaux this evening from Bountiful Earth (New Smyrna Beach, Florida). He says his bamboo, especially the Parker Giant are getting holes from wood peckers. Anyone else seen this? Any recommendations other than "shooting them".
No recommendations, but I do have wood peckers doing this to my B. oldhamii. Not a lot of hole, but a few here and there. Sometimes I will have some type of fern that will grow out of the hole the wood peckers made.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mike best
Location info: 0

Post by mike best »

Here is Chucks Parker. There does not seem to be anything inside but the sap or something has been dripping down the culm.

Mike Best
Flashburn
Location info: 0

Post by Flashburn »

I hear woodpecker tastes like a cross between spotted owl and bald eagle.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Re: RE: Wood Peckers

Post by boonut »

mike best wrote:Here is Chucks Parker. There does not seem to be anything inside but the sap or something has been dripping down the culm.

Chuck said you visited. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures you took at his place.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com