Bugs, preservation and tropical conditions

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Thaibamboo
Location info: 0

Bugs, preservation and tropical conditions

Post by Thaibamboo »

In the next few years we're hoping to build with bamboo, probably using D.Asper. There is plenty of this close to our land, however I've been told by a guy who sells cut poles and furniture, that the bamboo from our area has too many bugs.

He says it's not to do with the species, but it's because we're in an area with lots of forest and high rainfall. Even if we harvest in the dry season, he thinks the insects will still be active or will have laid eggs. He's preffered location is an area with much lower rainfall and less forest. I wouldn't say he's an expert and would be very surprised if he has any knowledge of preservation techniques. Noetheless he has dealt with the stuff for years and would have a lot of local/traditional knowledge.

Does anybody have opinions on this? We plan to harvest towards the end of the dry season and treat the bamboo with borax. Will this kill any existing bugs?

I also have a few threads going with pics of bamboo in our area (in case anyone is interested).
Thaibamboo

RE: Bugs, preservation and tropical conditions

Post by Thaibamboo »

Any info? Even a guess would be helpful!
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

I've heard of people treating or preserving harvested poles with a flame. I understand it helps to remove the starch. Bugs tend not to survive fire either. Once heat is applied, they wipe off the oil that is released from the boo. I guess they repeat this step until the oils stop surfacing.Never tried it myself but maybe someone can shed more light.
-shu
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Not from experience but from my readings the Borax should kill any bugs present.
MarCat
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I've read somewhere about bamboo being cut and the end put in a borax solution. The evaporation off the leaves draws the solution up into the culms. After a few days the bamboo is removed and the branches trimmed off.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.