Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

Post by Roy »

When I bring new bamboo to my back yard, I put it on the ground on top of a blue tarp. Then for about 4 weeks, about every other day, I will give the bamboo a dose of "Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control" (active ingredient: Imidacloprid) and I will spray the leaves and culms with Malathion on an every other day basis. I stop the treatment for about 2 weeks, then I start "working" with my new bamboo.

The concern I have is about the Imidacloprid. I usually do divisions with my bare hands and I'm wondering how long the Imidacloprid might possibly toxic to my skin? I know the Malathion dissipates fairly quickly, but the Imidacloprid is supposed to be absorbed by the plant and has a longer lasting effect on the plant than does the Malathion.

Anybody got any opinions or knowledge to share?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

Post by ghmerrill »

Roy, I wouldnt worry about it a whole lot. Imidacloprid is one of the chemichals used for flea controll for dogs and cats.. you know, those drop on the back of the neck kind? MUCH lower dose in the plant stuff. a friend uses it on her exotic large cats, because she can put it in a spray bottle and dose the critters from afar.

Interesting that you use it so frequently. I got a tumidissinoda from a guy in your neck of the woods (much farther to the north) and it had mites pretty bad. one dose is all I have used, it has been almost a year, and no sign of mites at all on the plant. the new leaves are growing, and they look great. I am going to start using it on all the boos as a preventitive to keep the aphids off as well- my aurea by the house get nasty with them every spring, and one dose, they are gone within a week.
Roy

Re: RE: Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

Post by Roy »

ghmerrill wrote:Roy, I wouldnt worry about it a whole lot. Imidacloprid is one of the chemichals used for flea controll for dogs and cats.. you know, those drop on the back of the neck kind? MUCH lower dose in the plant stuff. a friend uses it on her exotic large cats, because she can put it in a spray bottle and dose the critters from afar.

Interesting that you use it so frequently. I got a tumidissinoda from a guy in your neck of the woods (much farther to the north) and it had mites pretty bad. one dose is all I have used, it has been almost a year, and no sign of mites at all on the plant. the new leaves are growing, and they look great. I am going to start using it on all the boos as a preventitive to keep the aphids off as well- my aurea by the house get nasty with them every spring, and one dose, they are gone within a week.
ghmerrill,

I'm using it only on the new boos to my backyard. And that is only for a month. I'm trying to keep the mealybug Palmicultor lumpurensis from taking up residence in my backyard. I've seen it in Tampa, in a few places, and I want to keep it out of my backyard as long as possible.

Thanks for the information.
Roy Rogers
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Hey, if it seems to work, then keep at it!

:D
applied
Location info: 0

Post by applied »

The Bayer advanced label says to use 3 oz per 2 ft of shrub (1.47%).
One 32oz bottle would treat 5 2 ft shrubs. That would mean one bottle for a 11 ft Boo. That seems like a lot to me. I would like to know what
mixture /ratio other here have successfully used. I need to treat for mealy bugs.

Thank you.
David
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I have used single treatments of 1 oz to the gallon of water to kill active infestation of mealy bugs. I also treat all bamboo that I bring home. I usually have a bottle of this weak stuff since I can mix up a small dose. I just found Malice 75WSP for large quantities and cut it accordingly. I too have wondered about handleing the plant material later. Even with the concerns, I still don't know of a safer, more effective control method at this time. FYI, I treated 100% of my plants after moving to my new property. The bamboo was and still is full of tree frogs and none have showed signs of decline that I can see.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy

Re: RE: Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:I have used single treatments of 1 oz to the gallon of water to kill active infestation of mealy bugs. I also treat all bamboo that I bring home. I usually have a bottle of this weak stuff since I can mix up a small dose. I just found Malice 75WSP for large quantities and cut it accordingly. I too have wondered about handleing the plant material later. Even with the concerns, I still don't know of a safer, more effective control method at this time. FYI, I treated 100% of my plants after moving to my new property. The bamboo was and still is full of tree frogs and none have showed signs of decline that I can see.
Bamboo Outlaw,

:kermit: :kermit: Well that's good news. I hear frogs are to the environment as canaries are to coal mines. :kermit: :kermit:
Roy Rogers
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Applied,

I use the bayer product as per label directions..... Im only treating small boos though!