How do I get rid of bees?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: How do I get rid of bees?

Post by needmore »

Are y'all seeing any signs that the african bees are 'taming down' any due to genetic mixing with the local bees? It seems like they have had enough time to have perhaps begun that process. Conversely I guess that implies that the local bees would be developing more attitude. I also wonder if the african gene bees are succumbing to the hive collapse phenomenon that is plaguing parts of the US?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

We used to have someone drive up and down the road with an extremely loud car stereo system with lots of bass. There are skunks in the neighborhood and when the car went by they would lose all self control. :shock:

Years ago I had to deal with a hornet's nest on the house which had some rather aggressive hornets. I bought this hornet stuff from a local Big Lots real cheap. I went out to the hornet's nest, took aim and pushed the button. The can emptied itself immediately, slamming the can back against my chest, the hornet's nest vaporized, the remaining hornets shot outward in every direction at high speed and kept going. :shock:

While I did not get stung and it did get rid of the hornet's nest, I would be reluctant to ever knowingly use that product again. Fortunately, I think it was discontinued.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

"We already have enough skunks. I can send you an armadillo..."

That is hillarious! you dont know how bad I want one! My wifes uncle moved back to missouri, and they have them there. I keep telling him to bring me some when he drives out here, once or twice a year, but he says the only ones he sees are roadkill... Her grandparents went back to visit him and see the property he bought, and were back there a month. when they came home, they called and said they brought me back a couple of armadillo. I jumped in the car, raced over there, and was presented with a couple of plastic kids toys.... I was about as exicited with that as the time I went to look at a grove of "really rare bamboo" and found out when I got there it was P. aurea. And since it was grandma and grandpa, I had to act real excited....

I dont know what I would DO with an armadillo, but ever since seeing one in a pet store as a kid, I have wanted one. the South american varieties have always tempted me, but spending $600 to $1500 apeice was never something I wanted to do! that, and the fact that they are know carriers of tuberculosis.......

rfgpitt,

We have several fruit trees, but I think the skunks take care of the yellowjackets here. My wifes grandparents also have fruit trees, and yellowjackets, but her parents have no fruit trees at all, and still have lots of yellowjackets..... interesting observation thought... I will have to see if we have an increase in population this year, as I have been doing everything I can to get rid of skunks around here.

mantis,

do you think the post office would accept an armadillo to be mailed? at least it would be easy to affix the postage....
:lol:

Gene
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: How do I get rid of bees?

Post by mantis »

ghmerrill wrote: the South american varieties have always tempted me, but spending $600 to $1500 apeice was never something I wanted to do! that, and the fact that they are know carriers of tuberculosis.......
What they are famous for is carrying leprosy. :wink:
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Yes, but what are the odds? I was with my nephew and nieces out for a ride and came up on a dillo. I told the boy to sneak up behind it and goose it in the butt. The kid slipped up on it and actually did it. Of course the dillo jumped straight up and the kid nearly pooped his pants. That and the two girls nearly pee'd in my truck laughing.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

leprosy, huh. that makes it easier.... just leave any three legged armadillos alone....

i knew it was some nasty thing or other!

Gene
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: How do I get rid of bees?

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:How long have they been there? If it is a swarm, they usually move in a day or two on their own.
Looks like this is what happened. They hung around for a couple days, but now there is no sign of them. I was paranoid when I was mowing yesterday, but didn't see a single bee the entire time I was in the yard. :)
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Mantis the way to know for sure they are gone is easy. During the heat of the day (a nice warm day) take a seat where you can observe the area they were and just watch. If they are still there you will soon see them. They fly in to the hive and go into a short quick "holding pattern" and disappear into the hive(wall in your case) should be several bees doing it at one time when it is nice and warm. Hope they have moved on.
MarCat
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

Call some local honey producers. They will be more than happy to come out and take care of this for you.

*oops, I see the problem is solved. I should have paid better attention :) *
Aaron