War...

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

RE: War...

Post by Roy »

Reminds me of my old squirrel hunting cat I used to have. I would walk along the gravel road and the cat would walk about 20 feet into the woods. I would shoot the squirrels and he would bring them to me. My dad and older brother would eat the squirrels, but I never had the desire to eat them.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Allen I just had an idea try spraying some hot sauce on the boo's they are after. Shouldn't hurt the plants and it would be funny if you get to see one trying a sauced up shoot.
MarCat
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

It is possible the squirrels may develop a taste for spicy bamboo shoots, which would make the problem worse. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

That was my thought... hm... he is spicing them up for me... "What a guy".
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Yeah Allen, For those "Spicy" squirrel melts... =D

One thing though, being so close to current day Mexico (and previously being Mexico?), those squirrels may dig the stuff! :lol:

Also, didn't some ancient armies use capsicum based peppers for the adrenaline boost or pain sensitization? Watch out for those squirrel mercinaries! Maybe I'm mixing that up with something else I don't remember now.

---Sven
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I used to raise different varieties of Habanero peppers. I had most of the really hot ones. That is a different story.

Anyway, I tried those peppers on just about everything. The mice really loved the peppers and the entire plant. When we have high water, the mice come out to assist the squirrels. I have seen them out there with tequila shots and boo shoots... toasting the "boonut" kind enough to provide the delicacies. :lol: :lol:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Green Man
Location info: 0

Post by Green Man »

boonut wrote:The squirrels have really declared war on all my boo. They eat into the new shoots on most of my B. Lako in pots. Anyone have a bazooka?
Yes, but I'm afraid you wont like WHO has it.

boonut wrote:Somewhere out there somebody knows a secret for keeping squirrels out of the yard. I hope they send the lesson learned my way. When there are nuts all over the yard from the Live Oak trees, they do leave the boo alone.

Most of the nuts are gone now, so they are eating my dog's food as a substitute along with the bamboo shoots until the new crop of nuts comes in.
Perhaps your dog could benefit from a friend. A Jack Russel or Rat Terrier will make short work of any errant squirrels. A wildlife colleague of mine actually charges folks for a short visit to their properties with his dogs. Even squirrels shacking up in attics did not stand a chance. When live traps failed, the dogs did not. JRTs and RTs give new meaning to the term "Dogs of War" when it comes to squirrels.
David wrote:Hello Allen,
I have lots of squirrels, and they seem to have developed a taste for bamboo shoots over the last several years. We have hawks, and other predators that help thin them out, but one squirrel can cause lots of damage. Live traps work well, but make sure you release them several miles away. The only way to really control them is to eliminate them. Squirrel, gravy, and biscuits is a favorite around these parts. Adult air rifles are lethal, and fairly quite. Don't laugh, but hunting slingshots are quite and deadly. I've tried every form of stink repellent including home made and they are only partly effective, and require lots of reapplications. I don't have time to spray every week or two and if you don't, they are just not effective. As the top of the food chain I think eating them is the best choice.

Regards,

David
As David pointed out; if you decide to go the live trap route be sure the squirrels are released far from your home. Some professionals recommend no fewer than ten miles from your property and with good reason. Remarkably, squirrels have been known to find their way home from distances of nine to eleven miles away. Personally, I always recommend at minimum twelve miles, but would encourage a fourteen mile drop point (referring to distance not height). Of course, you should check with state and local authorities regarding restrictions for squirrel release to avoid fines or possible jail time. Bare in mind that some states allowing relocation do not necessarily allow transport or handling of wildlife without special permits and/or licensing.

It is helpful if you can positively identify the type of squirrel that is causing you a problem. Relocating invasive Eastern Grey Squirrels is often prohibited within western states because they out compete native Red Squirrel populations for territory and food. Again, check with your state and local authorities for regulations regarding nuisance wildlife.

Personally I have never eaten squirrel, something about the idea of ingesting rodent disturbs me, but that doesn't mean it would not make an excellent "Secret Stew" when uninvited family or friends show up.
svendrix wrote:And for some today, their survival still exists in some parts of the US.
The Beverly Hillbillies come to mind.
svendrix wrote:Also in the US, there are definitely aversions to animals that are "cute", but when I was in Italy, horse meat was on almost every menu I looked. I never tried it there, but I did later with a girlfriend in Mexico who loved it. I still don't know if I like it as there was WAY too much salt in it for my taste, but not enough for hers, heh.
Her name was not "Margarita" by any chance was it?
marcat wrote:Allen I just had an idea try spraying some hot sauce on the boo's they are after. Shouldn't hurt the plants and it would be funny if you get to see one trying a sauced up shoot.
MarCat
Actually there is a hot wax product made for exactly what your talking about. The wax is largely to help reduce reapplication frequency, but you certainly could brew your own capsicum concoction sans wax. Of course, bare in mind that hot and spicy bamboo shoots are sold as a snack in some areas of the world. So don't be surprised if you wake up one morning to discover foreign tourists wandering amidst your bamboo who claim to be just browsing.

Alternatively, you could try this.
boonut

Post by boonut »

BEST VIDEO... definitely the way to go. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE Squirrel catapult. WOW!!! Thanks for sharing.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Green Man

Post by Green Man »

Just doing my part to save nuts everywhere!!! :P

Now here is a story that may be of interest to you if you have noticed allot more squirrels hanging around your place recently. Could be Big Brother just wants to get to know you a little better.

Squirrel Spy Ring? Thats Nuts!

Police in Iran are reported to have taken 14 squirrels into custody - because they are suspected of spying.

Britain's latest secret weapon?

The rodents were found near the Iranian border allegedly equipped with eavesdropping devices.

The reports have come from the official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).

When asked about the confiscation of the spy squirrels, the national police chief said: "I have heard about it, but I do not have precise information."

The IRNA said that the squirrels were kitted out by foreign intelligence services - but they were captured two weeks ago by police officers.

A Foreign Office source told Sky News: "The story is nuts."

But if true, this would not be the first time animals have been used to spy.

During World War II the Allied Forces used pigeons to fly vital intelligence out of occupied France.

More recently, US marines stationed in Kuwait have used chickens as a low-tech chemical detection system.

And it is well documented that dolphins have been used to seek out underwater mines.

It is even claimed that M15 once planned to recruit a team of specially-trained gerbils as a secret weapon to sniff out spies.

Source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 83,00.html
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

Nothing wrong with squirrels for dinner. When we were young, my brother and me get them with home made catapults. Otherwise, they will decrease the yield of our rambutans, mangoes, mangosteens, etc. So, the dictum is hunt, and we shall have more fruits for ourselves, and have the added bonus of a bit of extra protein in our diet. That goes for any other critters that try and pilfer from our tropical farm. Especially the pythons and monitor lizards that think it's their lucky day at our chicken hutch. They find out quickly enough that the road to our dinner plates is shorter than their own dinner.

All of them - squirrels, pythons and monitor lizards tasted good stirred fried with ginger (from our backyard, of course) and a dash of thick soya sauce.