Systemic Mite Control

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Systemic Mite Control

Post by ocimum_nate »

I have been spraying with neem oil and have had good results. Just wondering however if anyone has tried any systemics for better control of spider mites? If anyone has a recommendation I would love to hear it.
ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

RE: Systemic Mite Control

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I have heard that Neem works pretty well. Avid is a good one that they use at some bamboo nurseries around here to control bamboo mites. It is expensive stuff though.

Personally I use agricultural oil as it not only kills the mites, but also the eggs and all stages of mite development. And it penetrates the fine spun threads that they weave under the leaves. Only spray it when it is less than 60 degrees out though, otherwise it can burn the leaves. Which is often times a contradicting time when you need to spray, as spider mites in particular really go to town and do the most damage when it is really hot.
Happy trails...
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Tried a heavy saturation of Incecticidal Soap on some potted B.multiplex 'tiny fern leaf' and it worked. Funny that even with the plots being next to other varieties of multiplex (Green Headge and Chinese Goddess) they never got infested.
MarCat
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Nate,

The systemic produce Roy mentions in a different post has my vote. about $20 for a bottle of it, but it works well for boo mite, as well as aphids. never had mealy bugs on any boo, but I would assume it works on anything that eats the plant, and it is a once per year application.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Systemic Mite Control

Post by Roy »

ghmerrill wrote:Nate,

The systemic produce Roy mentions in a different post has my vote. about $20 for a bottle of it, but it works well for boo mite, as well as aphids. never had mealy bugs on any boo, but I would assume it works on anything that eats the plant, and it is a once per year application.

Topic Thread: Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub insect control

http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=26729#26729
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST