Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Conne'isseur
Location info: 0

Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

If you want an effective solution to controlling this problem consider using either raw milk, (or a low pasteurized) or whey protein powder. If you are using the whey powder just mix a fair amount into a spray bottle until it liquidizes, then like the milk spray it on daily. The enzymes in them will stop the mold and mildew after a few applications.
Neem oil is another one that is supposed to be somewhat effective.
Aaron
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

RE: Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Doesn't the sugar in milk draw ants.

Or worse yet, cats.......

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Conne'isseur wrote:If you want an effective solution to controlling this problem consider using either raw milk, (or a low pasteurized) or whey protein powder. If you are using the whey powder just mix a fair amount into a spray bottle until it liquidizes, then like the milk spray it on daily. The enzymes in them will stop the mold and mildew after a few applications.
Neem oil is another one that is supposed to be somewhat effective.
But what will this milk product do to stop the mealy bugs who are sucking on the culms and secreting a white sugary powder that the mold likes to grow on?

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

It will not do anything for the bugs, but maybe the neem will. It should stop the mold though in a few days. If the neem does not work, then it might require something stronger. Lucky enough for me the many lizards in my yard I encourage eat almost all bugs. :)

As far as the ants I don't worry too much about them, as I personally have never experienced any problem with them messing up my bamboo. Ants are a problem in my area, and no matter what I do they seem to be around. If I worry about them eating the milk or whey powder, I will deposit some fruit at the base to divert them. I guess I could give them some boric acid...
Aaron
Powerhead

Post by Powerhead »

So, what if anything will kill the mold completely?

I just found some on my Bambusa Tuldoides this morning along with the ants.

Also, will it spread to any other bamboo? Should I keep my other bamboo from contacting this plant?

Any info would be helpful.

[/img]
Roy

Re: RE: Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Post by Roy »

Powerhead wrote:So, what if anything will kill the mold completely?

I just found some on my Bambusa Tuldoides this morning along with the ants.

Also, will it spread to any other bamboo? Should I keep my other bamboo from contacting this plant?

Any info would be helpful.

[/img]
Do you want to kill the mold or the agent causing the mold?
Roy Rogers
Powerhead

Post by Powerhead »

Well the question I should have asked first is, will the mold hurt or kill the bamboo? Also, are the ants the trouble makers here? Seems that plant is the only one with the mold & ants.

I entered 3 pictures in the picture section. I just can't get them on my forum post.

Thank you Roy.

Rick
Roy

Re: RE: Controlling mildew and mold on culms

Post by Roy »

Powerhead wrote:Well the question I should have asked first is, will the mold hurt or kill the bamboo? Also, are the ants the trouble makers here? Seems that plant is the only one with the mold & ants.

I entered 3 pictures in the picture section. I just can't get them on my forum post.

Thank you Roy.

Rick
Rick,

Looking at your pictures below, what you have looks to me to be what I refer to as black sooty mold. Under that mold, you will find mealy bugs (see my picture above in this thread) that are sucking on the culm and secreting a white sugary powder. Mold from the air grows on the white sugary powder, thus the name is given "Black Sooty Mold Syndrome". (I made up the "syndrome" part :) ) The ants are after the white sugary powder. You can even see the white powder in some of your pictures.

I don't do anything to control my mealy bugs, so I will let others tell what control methods they use to control the mealy bugs.

Roy Rogers
webgator

Post by webgator »

Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub pest control works well to control/eliminate most pests. I used it on my Kimmei last season and have not seen a sign of any pests yet this season. I will be using it again on my boo at the same time I treat my King Sagos (works great for controlling Asian Cycad Scale).

If pesticides aren't for you, then you can blast the mold off and treat with Neem oil. This will require numerous hours of labor and several attempts and will probably not solve your problem entirely.

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/Tr ... trate.html
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info