Image Compression: Am I losing my pixels or what?

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Re: RE: Image Compression: Am I losing my pixels or what?

Post by Thuja »

bamboozal wrote:To address the topic title, when an image is compressed, pixels are not necessarily lost, but information (colour, light levels, etc) to varying degress gets tossed out of the window.
Agreed. I was using a catchy line from another topic that veered off into pixelland. I thought maybe I was losing my mind.
And your daughter looks adorable. Is she 3?
Looks just like my princess. :)
That was several years ago already. She's learning karate now so maybe she'll be able to fight off the Rubro. :wink:
--Mike
Bamboo Chuck
Location info: 0
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168

386-427-3330

RE: Image Compression: Am I losing my pixels or what?

Post by Bamboo Chuck »

Image compression (unless lossless) throws information out. I always shoot raw & Jpeg combined. Jpeg for fast viewing and Raw for editing. More important than megapixel size is the glass and sensor. A good lens is great start for nice pictures. I f you don't have interchangeable lenses, make sure the camera has good quality optics. You can't buy the talent of taking good pictures...but decent equipment sure helps get you started. The better the equipment....the more you will use and experiment with it. If I spent more than I want to admit for a lens...I wont let it sit there. The old rule (especially with digital) Take enough pictures and you're bound to get a couple of good shots even if they are a total accident.
Chuck & Michelle
wwww.bamboo.ws
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Image Compression: Am I losing my pixels or what?

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Chuck wrote:Image compression (unless lossless) throws information out. I always shoot raw & Jpeg combined. Jpeg for fast viewing and Raw for editing. More important than megapixel size is the glass and sensor. A good lens is great start for nice pictures. I f you don't have interchangeable lenses, make sure the camera has good quality optics. You can't buy the talent of taking good pictures...but decent equipment sure helps get you started. The better the equipment....the more you will use and experiment with it. If I spent more than I want to admit for a lens...I wont let it sit there. The old rule (especially with digital) Take enough pictures and you're bound to get a couple of good shots even if they are a total accident.
While I have worked in the raw, I've never taken or edited any pictures in the "raw" format. I've been thinking about buying another camera and I am considering getting one that will take "raw" format images and also buying an image editing program that can edit raw images. How steep is the learning curve on working with "raw" format?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST