Bamboo Photos December 2012

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Bamboo Photos December 2012

Post by johnw »

P. viridi-striata looking a little tired these days. One would think this the perfect spot to contain this guy but it ran under the sidewalk and came up in a similar bed about 10-12ft to the right in front of someone else's house. Mind you they told me it took 4-5 years to find them.
Attachments
Pleioblastus viridi-striata .jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
bamboothew

Re: Bamboo Photos December 2012

Post by bamboothew »

It's amazing how those short pleios can run: I have foot tall argenteostriatus that is throwing 6ft+ rhizomes after 2 summers in the ground from a 1 gal pot!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I found Pl vstriat to be very very slow to start to run but once it finally did it never stopped so your story here seems to match that. I don't like container growing them (any Pl ground covers), they seem to have few roots and take time to develop in pots so I only do 'sods' anymore and those seem much faster to take off.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Why would it be that these Pleioblastus hate pots and fail to develop good roots in pots? I've tried very open mixes, heavy mixes and everything in between to no avail. This past spring we picked up a few pots at the Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens plant sale, they were severely under-potted yet the pots were congested with roots. Once we got the plants home they sat and sulked and so will have to get planted in the spring.

Bracing for up to 10" of snow tomorrow.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Even in-ground I don't see much root action, A gigantea is the same and I can never get any to take off in pots. I see vendors with full pots so it is me I assume but I prefer to dig about a 30cmx30cm sod from the patch and yopu get a network of rhizome with minimally disturbing the division, those seem to take right off - much easier for me to deal with, most Sasa/Indo I treat the same way.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com