A visit to the moso

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

bamboothew
Location info: 0

A visit to the moso

Post by bamboothew »

Just wanted to share some pics from my annual (or so) visit to the moso grove in the Clemson University Experimental Forest. This grove was planted by Rufus Fant (planter of the famous Anderson grove) in the 1930s. From what I understand it has never been contained or groomed in any way, and now covers aprox 2 acres of land. Most of the culms in this grove are 4-5" in diameter but I found a few 5.5-6 inchers.
uploadfromtaptalk1333658781990.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333658781990.jpg
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1333658961706.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333658885344.jpg
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
bamboothew

Re: A visit to the moso

Post by bamboothew »

uploadfromtaptalk1333659674798.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333659628857.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333659582268.jpg
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

A visit to the moso

Post by rickw »

Awesome photos but reminds me how puny my little groove is, 1"X12'. Someday
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

I would have definitely thought an 80 year old grove of moso would cover more than 2 acres if left unchecked.

Wish moso was a little hardier. I love the look of 'Nabeshimana', in particular.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

The info I found claimed the grove only covered an acre in 2005 but it appears to cover about 2, but that's really just a guess. My own property is about 2 acres here so I think I have a good perspective on the size, but could be wrong. The perimeter is so overgrown with weeds and such that I couldn't really walk the perimeter, else I could step off the perimeter and estimate the size a little better. Official data on that grove is scant! Btw moso isn't known as a very aggressive spreader anyway and voles could be hindering it too for all I know, but I didn't see evidence of any. Plus, the soil the grove is spreading into is almost pure red clay.
God Bless,

Matthew

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I remember that the Moso grove in Silverbrook Cemetery was also spreading into red clay. I've wondered if Moso likes red clay. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I read somewhere that it does, in fact I'm sure I read somewhere that in asia clay is sometimes used as a soil ammendment for bamboo being grown in lighter soils, especially moso! Btw though, in the middle of the Clemson grove the leaf litter and resulting humus is way over a foot thick, wish I could have a truckload of that stuff!
God Bless,

Matthew