what do you have??

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

kstanwick
Location info: 0
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

what do you have??

Post by kstanwick »

Ok camera people. I think i posted this way back when in GW but here it is again.....Since that ?? i bought my wife the canon G2 digital. used but it works well. I think it was someone's choice...I haven't tried taking any close ups yet with that...i still pretty much use my cheap old beat up olympus 1.3 MP dr340.....This will be a great spot....I think Mike has some of the best close up pics ...not to knock anyone else's......
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
kstanwick

RE: what do you have??

Post by kstanwick »

whoops Lance already beat me to it before i read his post...sorry...
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Kurt, thanks for the compliment. I do have the Canon S2 too and really like it. It takes a while to get used to it but over all is pretty easy. Now I see that there is an S3 already, so it's hard to keep up. I guess I'll wait for the S10 before upgrading. :wink:
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I was looking for a pic of thujaMike's camera and this is the only image I could find on it.

nvention.psychology.msstate.edu
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Yes, that's it! An artist's rendition of it. I forgot to mention that it is a bit bulky.

Kurt, did you mean G2 or S2? I got my G & S's confused. G2 is an older, discontinued Canon model.
--Mike
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

G2...and i think it was you who had the G2...yes?? anyway i think its a great camera. From talking with a few people who "know" cameras, they mentioned the lens is still a good one on that model vs some of the new cameras coming out. back in the day, it went for 700. I paid 200 on ebay. with a 512 card....I thought that is a pretty fair number. i got it more for my wife who is an SLR fan. she has a tendancy to burn a roll of film a week. so it was getting costly. it has all the manual settings you want to play with...it was either that or get one of those minoltas with the 12x zoom with the anti shake. I look at cameras the way i look at computers. I would rather be a few steps behind and pay alot less than having the latest and greastest. that is my personal opinion from working in the field.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

My first digital camera was a Canon G1. Had a lot of hassles with it. Canon agreed to replace it with a new Canon G2 if I paid the difference in price - very nice of them and I leaped at the offer. Now, almost 4 years later, it is still my favorite camera for taking pictures in the garden or out in the woods. For the following reasons:
1. The rotate and flip screen is indispensable
2. A multitude of exposure programming options. I thought it was too much initially, but now I realize that I have used all the settings at one time or another.
3. Long battery charge live - I have timed it - it's about 3.5 hours, using the screen at a lower brightness and setting the auto focus to focus only during pre-exposure.
4. Compact enough to put in my pocket.

There is no question that the image qualities of newer models have improved dramatically (I have two Sony's, including a 7.2 MP Cybershot). But the G2 is still excellent in this respect in spite of it's age.

Our latest is a Canon digital SLR (EOS). Using an SLR is a completely different experience altogether. The possibilities are enormous. But I really miss the flip screen on the G2. The digital SLR takes great pictures, but because of this reason, and because of it's bulk, I have only used it for set up shots so far. However, if I get more serious about garden and nature photography, I will definitely be looking for an upgrade in a digital SLR.