Camera features that make bamboo photography easier

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

BooKing
Location info: 0

RE: Camera features that make bamboo photography easier

Post by BooKing »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do I get 5 seeds for effort... :wink:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

BooKing, I had that idea too to ask about the identity of the above bamboo. I even looked at the filename. No luck there either, but I think it's worth 5 seeds at least. :lol: My strategy is just to keep guessing until I get lucky. I figure about 2,550 guesses should guarantee a win.

Normally my net access is pretty good, even with 3MB photos, but this afternoon it downloaded very slowly.

It seems like most cameras use a "tulip" icon to represent their macro function. As Rick mentioned, focus has always been my top challenge with bamboo shots. Kudzu's photos look great so maybe focus isn't such an issue on the FX9.
--Mike
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

BooKing-
Maybe we can work out some charity when the dust settles...

Thuja-
I knew someone would be clever enough to view the source code, so I made some adjustments before posting...
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Thuja-
Back on topic...one more thing. The autofocus on the Panasonic works quite well. That's not to say I don't screw up occasionally and get a sharply focused background and a fuzzy culm. But that's the beauty of a digital camera, a big memory card, and multiple shots.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Battery Life?

One of the reasons I bought my HP (other than price and that it was 5 megapixels two years ago) is that it took regular AA size batteries. That way I could always have some extras. My problem is, when using the screen/viewfinder to take the picture, it sucks the life out of the batteries VERY quickly. If I'm out taking bamboo pictures this way, I'm lucky if I get 15 good pictures. I can shut it off and turn it back on and get a few more usually, but I think that's still awful. When I go to any "event" I normally have the recharge-ables in the camera, another set of recharge-ables and a few alkalines as backup (it takes 2 AA). My worry was having to buy a proprietary battery and or only having one and running out of juice. Have most of the newer cameras bettered battery life & what do you do if you run low?

Thanks,
Rick
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Camera features that make bamboo photography easier

Post by Roy »

rfgpitt wrote:Battery Life?

One of the reasons I bought my HP (other than price and that it was 5 megapixels two years ago) is that it took regular AA size batteries. That way I could always have some extras. My problem is, when using the screen/viewfinder to take the picture, it sucks the life out of the batteries VERY quickly. If I'm out taking bamboo pictures this way, I'm lucky if I get 15 good pictures. I can shut it off and turn it back on and get a few more usually, but I think that's still awful. When I go to any "event" I normally have the recharge-ables in the camera, another set of recharge-ables and a few alkalines as backup (it takes 2 AA). My worry was having to buy a proprietary battery and or only having one and running out of juice. Have most of the newer cameras bettered battery life & what do you do if you run low?

Thanks,
About 4 years ago I bought a Sony digital camcorder and the rechargeable battery lasts a long time, the battery maintains a charge for many months if I don't use it, and I can recharge anytime without worrying about the battery "memory buildup effect". About 3 years ago I bought my Sony digital camera. Same good results with the battery.

Then a little over a year ago, I finally convinced my wife to give up her film camera and buy a $250 Sony camera. She hates it! Why! Because it doesn't use a lithium battery like the other 2 Sony products above. The batteries have to be recharged just before you use it. If you charge the battery up and wait a couple of weeks before using, then the batteries have lost most of their charge. If you don't run the batteries all the way down before recharging, then you have the "memory effect" buildup and after a few times your batteries are useless.

For me, that's the key. I'll never buy media equipment again unless it has or uses a lithium battery.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
kudzu9

Post by kudzu9 »

It is nice to be able to use AA size rechargeables (or regulars, if you're not close to a charger). Most of the really small digital cameras take proprietary batteries, so it's good, if you're taking lots of shots, especially with flash, to have an extra.
My Panasonic is so small it only uses a proprietary battery, but I love the compactness, and the battery has great life: you can get several hundred regular shots off one charge (I'm not sure how many if you use the flash heavily). It is important to research this issue before buying: I bought a slightly earlier version of this Panasonic at Costco, and found that it was only good for 50-60 shots, so I returned it and got the one I have now (DMC-FX9) and have been quite satisfied.