need ideas: how to take photos from above

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Alan_L
Location info: 81

need ideas: how to take photos from above

Post by Alan_L »

For the past couple of years I've thought about how I could put together a "top down" photographic map of my yard. Like a Google Earth satellite view, but closer. I think the best approach would be multiple images that I stitch together, and I think the two best ideas for getting the camera high enough are 1) ballons or 2) a long pole of some sort. I have a small Canon digital camera that would be good for this, and as it happens there are DIY camera mod sites that have modified firmware for my model of Canon (SD1000). Using this new software in the camera I could program it to take photos every 15 seconds or so, as I move the camera around my yard.

Balloons scare me, because if my tether line breaks I could lose my camera. If the balloon(s) fail, I could destroy my camera. Plus it needs to be windless, which could be a problem some seasons (like now, when it seems like it's always breezy). A long pole is safer in some ways, but more difficult, as it needs to be long enough to get above many of the plants, could be hard to keep balanced, needs to be lightweight enough to handle and hoist upright too. I don't want to spend a lot of money on some specialized pole rig for cameras either.

Does anybody have any other ideas?
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: need ideas: how to take photos from above

Post by needmore »

When I am on my roof (frequent gutter cleaning required) I often think about photos from up there.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I don't think I'll be able to see my yard from your roof, but thanks for the offer. :wink:

Seriously, I've thought about that too, and although it's a nice vantage point it won't give me a "map" of my whole yard.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Hey, here's an interesting and appropriate idea:

http://www.instructables.com/id/PanoPole/

I was already thinking about this, but wasn't sure how to attach the camera, or how unwieldy it would be.

Brad -- you have any decent canes that you're getting rid of that I can pick up on the 18th? They don't have to be nice ones. I do have a couple from previous trips, but I'm not sure how long they are. Maybe I'll do a test.

Edit: here's the tennis ball tripod link: http://www.instructables.com/id/Tennis-Ball-Tripod/
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I rented a small plane for $35/half hour and took pictures. I live about 2 miles from the local airport. Worked out great.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I think the camera on the end of a pole idea is going to work. I don't know if I'll be able to create a giant map image of the whole yard, but I'll definitely be getting some interesting photos. My test shots show promise. I'll post some samples soon. I wish it weren't drizzling right now, because I want to get out there and try it again. :D
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I've done some tests, and this may work out! If I can't actually get a useful map out of this, at least I'll have some interesting photos from a different perspective. I still need to refine the technique and figure out the best camera settings, but here are a couple of sample images. There are more on my blog (link in my sig).

oZmonKey
Location info: 0

Post by oZmonKey »

any more?