Camera Focus

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Camera Focus

Post by Thuja »

Nice shots there David. Looks like you got that camera figured out.
Glad your rhizomes are now producing some shoots. Yee ha. 'Tis the season.
--Mike
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: Byron ARS

Post by David »

Mike,
Thanks but they're not anywhere near as good as yours. My visual accuity is not what it use to be, and with a wide apeture and a narrow depth of field I have a really hard time focusing. Automatic focus is just not acceptable for closeups with either of my cameras. Got any ideas?
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Thuja

camera focus

Post by Thuja »

I agree that focus is the biggest challenge. Lately I have used a tripod or set the camera on the ground and set the timer to snap the photo. I think most cameras will let you manually set the aperture so if you aren't holding the camera, or you're in bright light, you can get greater depth of field.

As anyone who snaps photos of bamboo soon knows, autofocus usually locks in on the background instead of the subject. For pictures w/in arm's reach, I would often hold my hand out near the subject and focus on that 1st and then move my hand away. My new camera has better focus ability and I don't need to to do that. I still go with the "luck" factor and take a lot of photos hoping to get lucky with a few. No film or prints to waste so I figure that's the simplest way.

Anyway, you've got good focus in the above photos so you must already have some tricks up your sleeve.
--Mike
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: Byron ARS

Post by David »

I've been using a tripod, and I also use the timer if my shutter speed is below 1/125. One of the things that I find bothersome is shooting at web page resolution; they look out of focus no matter what I do. About 20/1 is my ratio of cull pics to keepers.

I wonder what Bill would think about a bamboo photography forum. Maybe you and I could be the moderators? I think bamboo may be the hardest subject I've tried to photograph, and I know I would benefit from others experiences.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

RE: Camera Focus

Post by David »

Hey! Look at us. We got a photo forum! I guess this means Bill said yes.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Not only that, when I look at users online: your name appears green now. Ah yes, spring is here.

I knew there was more than pointing and clicking involved regarding some of the photos that have appeared on this site. I make the aging eyes cringe on this forum when I display my photos. Sometimes they are so warped that a nun thought the image was possessed by demons.

8)
Thuja

Microsoft Image Resizer

Post by Thuja »

Good idea!
David wrote: One of the things that I find bothersome is shooting at web page resolution; they look out of focus no matter what I do.
That's one thing I'd recommend setting the resolution as high as you can. It sounds to me like your camera might be compressing your images too much. Afterwards you can use a graphics program or a photo shrinker to make the photos small enough to post. I think it was Kudzu who helped me discover the MS Image Resizer, free download from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx Once installed, it is very easy to use. Just right-click on the photo(s) you want to resize. The program makes smaller copies of each selected photo.
--Mike
David

Post by David »

Now that's exactly what I needed. That explains one of the reasons for the fine detail evident in your pictures. I will definitely check out the link.

Hey Lance, I'm green :!: I feel like Kermit. 8)

I've got to head over to the North American Enigma thread, and defend my position regarding A. gigantea that it originated here, and not Asia or South America.

This is going to be a really cool forum :!: :idea: 8)
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b