armed and dangerous

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

ClariBoo
Location info: 0

armed and dangerous

Post by ClariBoo »

Well, 8 months after a hemorrhagic stroke and fighting brain cancer I finally got a DSLR
and a flickr account.. I finally have some decent pics of my plants though they're a bit covered in pine needles right now. My back yard is till a mess, not being able to get out there and work on it mysef like I would love to and three days aweek I have therapy so It's late in the afternoon before I can try to take pics when the sub is at an awful locarion in the sky. I'm going to try and get some mrning pics tis weekend when the light is hopefully better.here the link to my bamboo album on flickr.. I think I have it set where anyone can look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kasparguy/ ... 697483554/
GrowingHabit

RE: armed and dangerous

Post by GrowingHabit »

I particularly like the last pic, the Bambusa Malingensis.

Do you like the DSLR? I almost bought one a few months ago, but they're just too heavy for my wrists/hands. I'm still tempted by them, though.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Hope you don't mind me butting in with my opinion. I love my DSLR, although I'm still learning how to use it to best advantage. Although DSLRs are bigger and heavier (depending on the lens mainly), the main advantages I find are: 1) control 2) image quality 3) speed.

There are also times when I just like grabbing the little point-and-shoot digital too, especially for macro (close-up) shots.

Disadvantages of DSLRs: A) size (you're not slipping this in a pocket) B) price C) future expenses (new lenses. Kinda like bamboo: always wanting more)
ClariBoo

Post by ClariBoo »

So far, I love it. It's heavier than a point-andshoot and therefore a bitcumbersome for me with only one hand to work with ( my left side was affected by my stroke and I hae not yet regained the use of my hand/arm
The Nikon D40 is about the lightwest of the DSLRs, and the best value out there. I've only had ine a few days and haven't gotten to start learninghow to use the manual settings. so I leave it on the full auto settings (autofocus, aut exposure , auto shutter speed, and auto iso and I think it takes great pictures in that mode
I was convinced to get the d40 by this photographer's website who had great comparisons of pther Nikons and Csnons and convinced me that the d40 would be more than enoughcamera dor what I would ever use it for.

kenrockwell.com
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

had my d40 a couple months now.
like it but lenses are expensive.
"Plants are people just like us"
ClariBoo

Post by ClariBoo »

unfortunately that's how SLRs are.. the cameras aren't too bad but the lenses add upyou can save a bit if you don't need AF or VR lenses unfortunately, I have to have AF lenses due to not being able to hold the camera with one hand and manual focus with the other.Ritz Camera had a two lens kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 AF lens for $549which was a great deal. the same kit with lenses that were AF and CR was $599
but since I have only disability income which mostly goes towards paying my ha;fof the mortgage, I decided I could live without the VR.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

I've become so used to being able to hold an object, say a bamboo leaf or flower, in one hand an putting the lens within less than an inch from the object and be able to take a great closeup, I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a (D)SLR.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ClariBoo

Post by ClariBoo »

If I had gotten the D40 before my stroke like I had wanted I would have saved even more money and gotten manual lenses but then I'd be screwed with needing to buy AF lenses to replace the manual lenses I ma have to invest in a light tripod if I can find one convenient enough to use along with my walking stick and/or wheelchair.
I'm not using a wheelchair much any more but my walking isn't quite good enough to do alot of it without a walking stick, which then takes up my good hand
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

How about tripod as walking stick? Saves some juggling of implements. One of the tripods I have has a side handle that's just about walking stick height. And don't give up on getting that other side back- I have two different friends who have both suffered stroke. One has regained full use, and one probably 85%, but he's been working at it a shorter time than the other. Took hard work, but they did it.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

i believe walking stick/tripod combos are available on line. cant remember who makes them but a quick google reveals all.
"Plants are people just like us"
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: armed and dangerous

Post by Roy »

dudley wrote:i believe walking stick/tripod combos are available on line. cant remember who makes them but a quick google reveals all.
Sunpak-VersiPod-Monopod-Tripod
http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-VersiPod-M ... B000FFUDIO
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST