Infrared pictures of bamboo

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Infrared pictures of bamboo

Post by boonut »

I just visited with a potential bamboo nut from just south of Ft. Worth in Texas. He is interested in getting started with bamboo and looking for types that will grow there.

He shared some pictures of bamboo taken with an infrared camera at Rip Van Winkle Gardens in Louisiana...

Great pictures... we hope to see his posts in the coming months here as we welcome a new bamboo aficionado.

He gave me permission to share:

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Infrared pictures of bamboo

Post by Mike McG »

Allen - Great looking pictures, but it is not what I am used to seeing from infrared cameras. Must be a different type of camera or there has been some computer manipulation.

I was going to joke that the bamboonuts up north can take pictures that look like this with conventional cameras.

Mike McG near Brenham TX
Markj
Location info: 0

Re: RE: Infrared pictures of bamboo

Post by Markj »

Mike McG wrote: I was going to joke that the bamboonuts up north can take pictures that look like this with conventional cameras.

my first thoughts too :D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

haha, so true :evil:
Panther

Re: Infrared pictures of bamboo

Post by Panther »

boonut wrote:I just visited with a potential bamboo nut from just south of Ft. Worth in Texas. He is interested in getting started with bamboo and looking for types that will grow there.

He shared some pictures of bamboo taken with an infrared camera at Rip Van Winkle Gardens in Louisiana...

Great pictures... we hope to see his posts in the coming months here as we welcome a new bamboo aficionado.

He gave me permission to share:
Howdy Allen,

Thanks very much for posting these for me, and I certainly appreciate all your help and kindness on learning about Bamboo and finding this Forum.
Take Care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
Panther

Re: RE: Infrared pictures of bamboo

Post by Panther »

Mike McG wrote:Allen - Great looking pictures, but it is not what I am used to seeing from infrared cameras. Must be a different type of camera or there has been some computer manipulation.

I was going to joke that the bamboonuts up north can take pictures that look like this with conventional cameras.

Mike McG near Brenham TX
Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the nice comments about my pics, these were taken with a Modded Nikon D70S, rigged for shooting IR only, and then the False Color was brought in with Photoshop.
Take Care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Welcome to the forums Craig.

There are a lot of great people willing to share what they know. You will find a lot of folks here with running bamboo experience. So, have fun... ask lots of questions... and don't forget to ask for anyone willing to share a free boo or two.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

This is NOT an true IR picture but what is often known as a NIR picture. You are using a modded CCD or CMOS sensor to capture 750nm - 1400nm (1.4㎛) If a CCD or CMOS based camera can see an IR remote strobing then it can be modded to capture this spectrum of light. This kind of IR is know as IR-A

A true IR or IR-C is not light but heat. This requires a sensor called a Bolometer or thermal sensor/mini-FPA. It is not an OPTICAL sensor. THEY ARE EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for 480x512! Average prices are around $9000USD. You cannot mod a regular camera to take a picture of this kind of radiation.

Regardless of this fact, WE can see that there is a cooling effect in the way that the bamboo passively absorbs the heat from the air, kind of like the fins of a CPU heatsink. Also I may add that bamboo is comprised mostly of silicon, essentially "glass" and acts a kind of semiconductor. -Here is yet another reason why we as a bamboo group advocate more plantings of the larger varieties for this reason. If any of you doubt this fact, consider this, that Thomas Edison's first light bulb was made from a carbonized bamboo fiber which is still intact to this very day in Sagano-shi, Kyoto Japan. :bom: :mrgreen:

Thanks for these NIR picts. You have shown clearly the bamboo effect!
markdenaley

Post by markdenaley »

Hi Friends.....

I had never been thought that bamboo tree can look so much beautiful as shown in the above photographs.... Although I know all these are the work of photo editing software, but still looking so gorgeous...... I must say that a great work of imagination...... :cheers: