Panoramic garden images

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Panoramic garden images

Post by Alan_L »

Ever since I've had a digital camera I've been taking photos of my yard that I never would have previously with my film camera, and luckily this always included "stand in one place and take photos in a circle around me" shots (360 degree panoramas).

Then I use photo stitching software (that either came with my camera or I downloaded for free) to create the panoramic shots. It's amazing how easy this is to do and what good results you can get.

I did the first one in 2000 with my pretty blurry 640x480 camera, and even those turned out pretty good. Although I don't have images from every year, I have most of them (at least the ones where I made changes to the yard), and am so glad I do.

It's a fantastic way to compare the changes in your yard, get a sense of the entire space, and remember old plants that you no longer have, even if you didn't take the time to snap a close-up image of every plant.

You don't have to do a full 360 either -- just snap a few images side-by-side, stitch them together, and you have a nice wide-angle shot without needing a wide-angle lens. You don't have to be really careful about taking the images either -- the software is good enough now to handle some rotation, different exposures, etc.

If you've never done this before, give it a try! (At the very least take the images -- you can always stitch them together in the future.)
Spectabilis
Location info: 0

RE: Panoramic garden images

Post by Spectabilis »

Can you post those pictures?
Bryan
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I experimented with stitching several years ago to document a new bamboo... I just put the plant in a pot on a lazy susan and took pics as I rotated the pot and ended up with an animation. Don't ask me to find it... to long ago.

I too would like to see the pics of the panorama.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

i thought about doing the same thing this year when I discovered the software ability as well.
I took this series of pictures over 15 years ago and was able to put them together with this software. I plan to do something like this with my back yard when it gets growing this year.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Panoramic garden images

Post by Roy »

ocimum_nate wrote:i thought about doing the same thing this year when I discovered the software ability as well.
I took this series of pictures over 15 years ago and was able to put them together with this software. I plan to do something like this with my back yard when it gets growing this year.
Well, I would have to say that you are a pretty good seamstress or the software is pretty good.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I've tried it too. Inserted into movies, you can get a slick effect panning across the whole image.
--Mike
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Here's one:

The black around the edges is due to uneven panning, compensation for lens distortion, etc. Since this is just a reference for me and not an image I'm going to print or put on a website, I don't bother cropping it into a nice rectangular shape. (I don't want to lose parts of the image). I'll need to remember to use the tripod for this sometime this year, and also STAND IN THE SAME SPOT so I can do comparisons. I don't think I've ever taken 2 from the same spot.

Unfortunately, you can only see my 'Rufa' (near the pink roses) and one culm of one of my Yellow Grooves (hanging into the right edge of the image).

Here's another:

If you look closely, sometimes you can see the "seam" where the images overlap, but this is a minor drawback I think and doesn't always happen. (My other Yellow Groove in the "boat" looking raised bed near the right side of the image.)
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Alan - That looks more like a coffin to me! :lol:
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

only a true bamboo enthusiast would pre-plant his coffin!
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

It's more boat-like when viewed from the side. :)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Alan-- Great looking garden you have there.
--Mike
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I took a few panoramics at the new property yesterday. I don't have anywhere to serve large images, so you just have to pretend that they are big. :oops:

View from the road:

Front tree:

Side of the property:

View from the front corner:

Picnic area:
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Very nice! What a sense of the space you get from these shots. Everybody needs to go stich together some pano images of their yard. It's really invaluable, especially in a few years.
I don't have anywhere to serve large images, so you just have to pretend that they are big.
Photbucket has a "limit to 1 MB size" option -- that's what I use. You should be able to get a pretty big image in 1 MB, especially if you lower the JPG quality setting a little bit when you create the image. (Don't know what Photobucket does to get the filesize down to 1 MB if it's higher than that when you upload, so I usually just make sure it's below 1 MB before I upload.)
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Re: Panoramic garden images

Post by Matt in TN »

This is great! What software are you using to stitch these together?
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
Alan_L

Re: Panoramic garden images

Post by Alan_L »

My old Canon point-and-shoot came with stitching software on the CD, but lately I've been using the autostitch demo http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

I've been thinking about getting a commercial stitching app like Autopano Pro (which uses autostitch technology) but haven't tried the demo version yet.