How to capture the waxy coating on Ph. glauca?

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Eric Layton
Location info: 0

How to capture the waxy coating on Ph. glauca?

Post by Eric Layton »

I have a Phyllostachys glauca that is beginning to display the waxy coating on the culms that is characteristic of this species. It looks great, but I am having a difficult time capturing that image in photographs. It seems that all my efforts lead to washed out pictures. How do I show the contrast of white culms and dark green leaves and make it look like I remember it? Do any of you have suggestions on how to do this?

In the examples below, from left to right: sunlight(good leaf color, culm washed out), flash(best overall?), shade from maple tree, no flash, sunlight behind plant(all colors muted).

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: How to capture the waxy coating on Ph. glauca?

Post by David »

Eric,

You might try photographing on an overcast day, and saturating the color by underexposing. If you wet the bamboo it will also color up some. Moving in a bit might also help ones eyes focus on the culm and its color.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Eric Layton

Post by Eric Layton »

Thanks for the tips David. I can try getting closer and wetting the bamboo. Now that you mention it, I recall the bamboo looking good on overcast days. But I have a problem with shooting on overcast days, we have so few! It has been a long time since it rained last. The closest I get to an overcast day is shooting at dawn, dusk, or in the shade of a larger object. It may be awhile till I can try these suggestions, the LCD on my camera cracked on my last work trip.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

It does seem to be difficult to capture some of the subtle nuances of bamboo on film (or on sensor I guess I should say). I agree with David, if you can get a closer shot, that would probably help. (Anyway, close-ups are about the only way for me to photograph since my plants remain so small.)

Another idea is just to take LOTS of photos with different settings. I sometimes get a good photo just by luck. Change the camera position from shot to shot. Sometimes a slightly different angle makes a big difference when you go to look at your pictures later.
--Mike