New Cameras...

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: New Cameras...

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Yup, the 1cm super-macro feature is cool, and I did test that yesterday on a piece of crumb cake, and yes the shot got all the details I would have wanted. I did have to play a little to make it not fuzzy as the light situation wasn't good for that test shot, but I want to play around this weekend when I can.

You can't put it on the lens like Thuja's camera, but 1cm will be good enough for my needs. And Roy you are a better man than I using the 1cm super-macro feature on an adult elephant like that!!!! :D

---Sven
The hardiest part was getting him to "hold still". :lol:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: New Cameras...

Post by boonut »

I have been using the Olympus 8080 for about 3 or 4 years now. It is one very nice camera for shooting boo. Most of the pics I have posted are with the 8080. Bottom line, I really like Olympus.

The reviews of that camera weren't all that great and the experts said it didn't do very well at all in macro. I guess they never really used it.

It is just an 8mpixel camera. I have two Nikon D200's at work. I like them with a professional flash, but it is just too much to shoot boo on a regular basis. I have found in the past that the more camera I have, the less I take it with me. My favorite was an older 4mpixel Fuji that fit in my shirt pocket. I carried it every where and shot a lot of pics.

The newest Sony Alpha has some nice features. The new ones will be out at the end of April, so that gives me a little time to figure out which to buy. All the pics from my recent visit to California were with the Olympus 8080.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

I have the Canon S2 which has what it calls "super macro" function. You can actually put objects on the lens. Here's a pic I took with a clear ruler touching the S2 lens.
Thuja Mike- Does the Canon S2 have a RCA video in/out plug? It looks like a RCA video connector cord comes with the camera package. Hope you and your family are well.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Hi David-- The Canon S2 does have video output tho I've never used it. I just download the video from the camera/card to the PC and watch it that way. The camera shoots very good video. I thought by now I'd want a newer camera but this one has satisfied me beyond my expectations. The S5 I think has a hotshoe for attaching a stronger flash.
--Mike
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

I have yet to purchase another digital camera, but it's about time. Our older 5.3MP HP 935 is getting ready to be passed on to the kids. I've limited my search to these two models and I'm looking to be influenced as neither seem perfect....

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
or
Olympus Stylus 1020/1010

The Panasonic has a 10x optical zoom that's fantastic in a point-and-shoot and takes HD movie clips. The Olympus probably takes better pictures in an indoor / party environment and the macro mode is probably a bit better.

I'm really leaning toward the Panasonic simply because of the zoom, but either cameras will be an upgrade in just about everything.

Anybody have either one of these or know of another point-and-shoot with great zoom capabilities (under $400)?

Thanks,
Rick
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

What's on everyones Christmas list? Anyone buy a new camera lately? I want to hear some feedback... good or bad.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Boonut, no cameras on my wishlist (other than a Nikon DLSR, but that has an emphasis on the WISH part of it.... =D).

Rick, just saw your note. I don't know if you picked those two cameras based on their prices, or on how small the camera is. I will say that if you are interested in long zoom, and decent macro, I am happy with my March purhase of the Olympus SP-560UZ

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp560uz/

The newer model (SP-570UZ) is now out for roughly the same price I think ($368 shipped at buydig.com just checked), and it is 20x zoom OPTICAL! It really does take some great long distance shots for a mid-sized digital camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/O ... p570uz.asp

Not sure if that upgrade blows it out of your budget or not, just figured I'd mention it in case it works for you!

---Sven

EDIT: Oh, and while I haven't seen the newer Lumix cameras, the one I saw and briefly played with a few years back was VERY nice, had good zoom for it's size, able to take shots in a concert situation with no flash, and also comes with a Leica lens. Nice!
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Sven,
Thanks for the info. I just want to get the most out of the smallest camera possible. Right now the Panasonic would be my first choice with its zoom. Anything will be an upgrade from what we have now, but it looks like our HP will have to die before the upgrade. We spent this past weekend in Niagara Falls and thought I got lucky when my 4yr old dropped it. Not that or the water from the Maid of the Mist (or all the rain for that matter) polished it off - I'll try harder at the next event.
What's on everyones Christmas list?
We might be waiting for the pre-Christmas / Black Friday sales.....
Rick
svendrix

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Rick,

That's what I figured. Well, I think you'll dig that Panasonic Lumix then, the one I played with was amazing for it's time (it was 3 models earlier), and had the best overall package for it's size.

Much smaller than my "mid-size" olympus (but not one of those credit card sized ones since it's got a nice lens built in). I also would suggest seeing if the local Circuit City or Best Buy (or ???? in your area?) has one in stock that you can pick up and look through in the store, etc before you buy. Wait, that might MAKE you buy... ;D

---Sven
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Sven,
I always like to "play" with electronics that expensive before I buy. Both B.B. & C.C. have one of the variants (silver, black or blue)

The one thing I recall in reading various reviews is to watch that finger placement doesn't interfere with normal operation (finger over the flash or mic) on these smaller cameras.
Rick
brinnonbob
Sea level USDA Z-8

Post by brinnonbob »

Got a Canon or Nikon D-SLR? (or any other major brand also)

Get a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro AF lens and you will be able to touch the UV filter on the front with whatever you want to photograph.

It's also a fantastic all-purpose walk-around everyday lens.

For fantastic all round Macro, try the Sigma 150mm f/2.8. Focal length is just under 16 inches and half of that is taken up by the length of the lens. Pure magic with the 1.4 TC too.

Bob F.
boonut

Post by boonut »

I get to play with a number of cameras at work. I really, really like the Nikon D300. I got the 18 - 200mm lens. I also have two of the D200's. Haven't taken pictures of bamboo with either... still use my personal Olympus 8080.

You just can't beat the D300... what a camera. :)
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

boonut, I SOOOOOO want one of those. Oh, and one of these which I just stumbled across this "preview model" review of the Nikon D700 =D

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/

---Sven
boonut

Post by boonut »

B & H Photo has it for $2999.99 BIGGGGGG Christmas present. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Arachnotron

Post by Arachnotron »

boonut wrote:What's on everyones Christmas list? Anyone buy a new camera lately? I want to hear some feedback... good or bad.
On my christmas list I have a Canon 40D to replace my digital rebel.