New Cameras...

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: New Cameras...

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:Just read the article again on the new Olympus and noticed the 1cm Super Macro mode. OK I AM SOLD!!!! I hope it hits before I head to see the Quail clone of Giganteus in March.

That is one of the real reasons I love the 8080... you can get really close. The price is really good.
Now that I've had a camera that I can put the camera lens really close to the subject I want to take a picture of, then I definitely don't want to go back to a foot to 18 inch distance to take a picture.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Roy

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:Just read the article again on the new Olympus and noticed the 1cm Super Macro mode. OK I AM SOLD!!!! I hope it hits before I head to see the Quail clone of Giganteus in March.

That is one of the real reasons I love the 8080... you can get really close. The price is really good.

Olympus SP-570 UZ

If this is the one you are talking about, then the link below shows it on sale now (correction: pre-order) for around $500 USD:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process ... SP570UZBLK
Roy Rogers
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: New Cameras...

Post by svendrix »

Holy cow, that looks like a smokin' deal on that camera! Something like this would probably last me 5 years or so, or at least until I can afford my Nikon D300 (or whatever similar model is out and affordable). I've had my Canon G2 digital with 4 megapixel, and that has lasted me over 5 years, but its showing its wear. Time to be moved to backup camera status!

Wow, that made my morning! =D

---Sven

PS, after rechecking the dpreview.com page, it looks like March 2008 is when should be available...
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

I'm really looking for something that can also zoom while in movie mode....

This one does not seem to be improved much from the old model at first glance and is about $150 more.....
Olympus SP-560UZ
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eda8710-20
Rick
bamboozal
Location info: 0

Post by bamboozal »

rfgpitt wrote:I'm really looking for something that can also zoom while in movie mode....
Rick,
the Sanyo Xacti C6 zooms while shooting videos ( see http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/c6.html ). I believe there is an updated model called the Xacti HD2 (see http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/hd2.html )
cheers,
Adrian.
svendrix

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Allen,

Did you decide on your camera yet? I saw Rick's comment that the Olympus SP-570UZ didn't seem to have that much of an upgrade for the cost over the SP-560UZ (only $347.13 with shipping at newegg.com), so I was looking at various reviews again.

Another thing I've read about these cameras (the consensus seems to be the same on multiple review sites) is that Olympus crammed too many gimmicky features into the menu system, that it is very non-intuitive sometimes. Read the camera review on Amazon, where one of the negative reviews moved it from 2 stars to 4 starts after figuring out the "optimum" settings for getting good photos (well for whatever he was doing).

Also the 1cm Super-macro mode is busted, because they point out that the huge lens would block out existing light. I might still go for the 560, but I am also looking at this which seems comparable, and also has a 1cm macro.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

If you go to "page 6" of that review, or the SP-560UZ review, you can see their macro tests which show the rounding at the corners. Not apples-to-apples due to the way they work, but you get the idea. Also if you read the conclusions page of the fz18, they slam the Olympus 550UZ models' menu system, and say that while the cameras are similar in quality/features, the Panasonic is FUN to use. I am not sure how different teh 550UZ is from the 560UZ or 570UZ, but I don't think it is much other than slight upgrades each generation.

I guess as is always true with ever changing technology, you can get into analysis paralysis and NEVER end up buying the "perfect" camera, heh

---Sven
Roy

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Allen,

Did you decide on your camera yet? I saw Rick's comment that the Olympus SP-570UZ didn't seem to have that much of an upgrade for the cost over the SP-560UZ (only $347.13 with shipping at newegg.com), so I was looking at various reviews again.

Another thing I've read about these cameras (the consensus seems to be the same on multiple review sites) is that Olympus crammed too many gimmicky features into the menu system, that it is very non-intuitive sometimes. Read the camera review on Amazon, where one of the negative reviews moved it from 2 stars to 4 starts after figuring out the "optimum" settings for getting good photos (well for whatever he was doing).

Also the 1cm Super-macro mode is busted, because they point out that the huge lens would block out existing light. I might still go for the 560, but I am also looking at this which seems comparable, and also has a 1cm macro.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

If you go to "page 6" of that review, or the SP-560UZ review, you can see their macro tests which show the rounding at the corners. Not apples-to-apples due to the way they work, but you get the idea. Also if you read the conclusions page of the fz18, they slam the Olympus 550UZ models' menu system, and say that while the cameras are similar in quality/features, the Panasonic is FUN to use. I am not sure how different teh 550UZ is from the 560UZ or 570UZ, but I don't think it is much other than slight upgrades each generation.

I guess as is always true with ever changing technology, you can get into analysis paralysis and NEVER end up buying the "perfect" camera, heh

---Sven
Sven,

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the positives of the 1 cm close-up range. I looked in the manual of my Sony DSC-F707 and the manual listed a close-up minimum range of 2 cm. I don't remember having the problem you speak of because I don't usually take pictures with me hovering over an item I want to take a picture of and me and the camera blocking out the light. Taking a picture where the camera is held vertical, with light coming in from either side of the end of the camera lens should present no problem.

I don't know if I've actually taken any 2 cm away pictures, but I've put my lens very close to a subject and not have to worry about being too close to the subject. I was a true SLR man, but I'm not going back because of the lack of close to subject issue.
Roy Rogers
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Roy,

I understand what you are saying, that was just a comment I read in one of the reviews (steve's digigams or something like that?). Maybe he was only doing straight on shots, that makes sense about the light still working if you shoot from the top.

On another note, did you see any corner rounding in macro closeups on your Sony? I don't know how comment it is with the point and shoot cameras with macro capabilities. I've never really done any macro shooting (my camera doesn't do macro), but after seeing what some of you guys come up with on your shots, I'd like to start. Especially for documenting my seedlings at the various stages. Right now my camera just blurs... =b

---Sven
Roy

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Roy,

I understand what you are saying, that was just a comment I read in one of the reviews (steve's digigams or something like that?). Maybe he was only doing straight on shots, that makes sense about the light still working if you shoot from the top.

On another note, did you see any corner rounding in macro closeups on your Sony? I don't know how comment it is with the point and shoot cameras with macro capabilities. I've never really done any macro shooting (my camera doesn't do macro), but after seeing what some of you guys come up with on your shots, I'd like to start. Especially for documenting my seedlings at the various stages. Right now my camera just blurs... =b

---Sven
Sven,

This is the best I could do on corner rounding (see below) :D

The only problem I have with doing the macro on objects (especially the 'round' bamboo culms) is that you have no depth in the image. By that I mean that what you are focused on in a flat plane is what you get a sharp image of and then things further away (as in the round culms of bamboo) then are not as focused. Hope I made sense with the above description.

Roy Rogers
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

LOL Roy! :lol:

Here is what I meant by corner rounding, which is distortion at the corners with normal macro mode ala the fisheye lens effect (the first 2 shots are from the dpreview.com page for the Panasonic Lumic DMC-FZ18:

And here is the same camera using "Tele macro" mode (whatever that is) which shows very little distortion:

And here is the "Wide Macro" for the Olympus SP-560UZ:

And here is the "Super macro" on the Olympus:

Like I said, none of those are apples-to-apples I think, but they do show what the camera does at various settings in macro mode.

---Sven
Roy

Post by Roy »

Sven,

Not saying that it doesn't happen, but I don't remember seeing pictures with distortions around the edges. That said, what I interested in is what is primarily in the center of my picture and then I do cropping to show primarily what image I was after.

I'm glad you like my "round" picture of a mealybug. It was a work of art getting that picture. I had to use some extraordinary skills of Southern engineering.
Roy Rogers
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

I have the Canon S2 which has what it calls "super macro" function. You can actually put objects on the lens. Here's a pic I took with a clear ruler touching the S2 lens.
You can clearly see barrel distortion. The effect subsides quickly with increased shooting distance but is noticeable. I seem to get better macro results (less distortion) using a close-up lens attachment (Canon 500D). I can take shots from a foot away or more.
--Mike
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Just a followup, due to an unexpected bonus at work, I was able to finally get my camera! I did go with the Olympus SP-560UZ (not the new 570 version which is $170 more for not much of a difference that I could tell). I bought it through buydig.com (where I got my last camera 6 years ago!), as they had the best price I could find, $329 shipped free. I got it today while at work, so haven't had much time to play with it, but I do like what I've seen so far!

The (18X optical) zoom is MONSTROUS compared to my old camera (and most of my friends that I've played with). I also briefly tried the macro and super-macro modes, which is the main reason for wanting this! I want to be able to document/share pictures of my seedlings, as well as closeups of individual parts of adult plants. I'll try to post some examples later on (maybe this weekend if I can't get to it before?). From the test shots I took in my office I am very happy with the initial results!

Woohoo, it's also just in time for my Florida trip at the end of the month!

----Sven
Roy

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Just a followup, due to an unexpected bonus at work, I was able to finally get my camera! I did go with the Olympus SP-560UZ (not the new 570 version which is $170 more for not much of a difference that I could tell). I bought it through buydig.com (where I got my last camera 6 years ago!), as they had the best price I could find, $329 shipped free. I got it today while at work, so haven't had much time to play with it, but I do like what I've seen so far!

The (18X optical) zoom is MONSTROUS compared to my old camera (and most of my friends that I've played with). I also briefly tried the macro and super-macro modes, which is the main reason for wanting this! I want to be able to document/share pictures of my seedlings, as well as closeups of individual parts of adult plants. I'll try to post some examples later on (maybe this weekend if I can't get to it before?). From the test shots I took in my office I am very happy with the initial results!

Woohoo, it's also just in time for my Florida trip at the end of the month!

----Sven
Sven,

I'm sure you will love the ease of getting close-ups with your new camera. You will enjoy the ability to hold an object in one hand and be able to take a picture with the camera in the other hand. No 18 inches min. distance which is why I just can't go back to a true digital SLR.

Roy Rogers
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Yup, the 1cm super-macro feature is cool, and I did test that yesterday on a piece of crumb cake, and yes the shot got all the details I would have wanted. I did have to play a little to make it not fuzzy as the light situation wasn't good for that test shot, but I want to play around this weekend when I can.

You can't put it on the lens like Thuja's camera, but 1cm will be good enough for my needs. And Roy you are a better man than I using the 1cm super-macro feature on an adult elephant like that!!!! :D

---Sven