Camera suggestion? Nikon D80 Vs. Canon Rebel XTi

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Camera suggestion? Nikon D80 Vs. Canon Rebel XTi

Post by mantis »

boonut wrote:When you buy the right tools, you might surprise yourself with the possibilities.

Experiment with depth-of-field in closeup shots of the culms. Shoot fill flash outdoors in full sun. Let your imagination run wild. That camera will do what you ask it to.
I took a few camera classes in high school/college, so I'm not a total beginner, but definitely not enough to justify buying a camera of this caliber. I think I'll probably take a couple community college extension type photography courses just to freshen my skills. :)
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

RE: Camera suggestion? Nikon D80 Vs. Canon Rebel XTi

Post by Thuja »

Mantis, let us know how the new camera works out. It sounds like a good one. I hope Santa is as good to me. :wink:
--Mike
mantis

Post by mantis »

Got all my stuff yesterday:
  • D200
  • 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor lens
  • UV filter
  • 2 - 2gb memory cards
  • 2 batteries
  • travel charger
  • bag
The I sourced the stuff from 4 different places, and it all showed up on the same day :shock:

I played with it a bit last night, and realize I really need to sit down and read the manual. :D

I have a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens on order.

Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions.

-mike.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

And here I thought I was going to see a pic
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:Got all my stuff yesterday:
  • D200
  • 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor lens
  • UV filter
  • 2 - 2gb memory cards
  • 2 batteries
  • travel charger
  • bag
The I sourced the stuff from 4 different places, and it all showed up on the same day :shock:

I played with it a bit last night, and realize I really need to sit down and read the manual. :D

I have a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens on order.

Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions.

-mike.
For my knowledge base, could you tell me why you chose the Nikon D200 over the Nikon D80?

I'll soon be buying a new camera and it probably will be a Nikon. I've looked at the D80, but not the D200. What features in the D200 sold you over the D80?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote: For my knowledge base, could you tell me why you chose the Nikon D200 over the Nikon D80?

I'll soon be buying a new camera and it probably will be a Nikon. I've looked at the D80, but not the D200. What features in the D200 sold you over the D80?
Roy,

I posted this topic on 3 forums, which in total have approx. 100,000 users, so I hit pretty much every level of photographer out there, and the answer from the majority of the pros was: If you are going to spend the money for the D80, you might as well go for the D200. Plus, when you consider the money that gets spent on lenses, filters, lights, etc, the cost of the D200 vs. D80 isn't extreme.

As for camera features, durability and speed sold me on the D200. I've broken 3 digital cameras in the last 3 years, so I wanted something that would last, and the D200 has a magnesium body vs. the D80's plastic body. Go to the store and pick them both up; the D200 just feels like a better camera, not to mention it's grip is more comfortable.

In all honesty, the D80 definitely would have been plenty of camera for me, plus it is more user friendly, but I decided to spend a little more for the D200 based on build quality and recommendations. And the final deciding factor? I got a rather nice profit sharing bonus from work ;)

I'll have more time to play with it this weekend, so maybe I'll get some pictures posted.

-mike.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I've broken 3 digital cameras in the last 3 years
:shock:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Iowaboo wrote:
I've broken 3 digital cameras in the last 3 years
:shock:
Ok, well I guess I should say my family has broken 3 digital cameras... my wife destroyed 1, broke 1, and I smashed the 3rd.

My wife now has an Olympus point and shoot that is built to withstand drops of 5' onto concrete, and it is water proof. Olympus Stylus 720 SW

Here is a pic I took of my son this summer in the pool...

Cool little camera. 8)
mantis

Post by mantis »

Ok, this camera is sex. After I placed my order I had some buyer's remorse, but that has all disappeared after playing with it for the day.

I haven't spent time with the D80, so I can't make a direct comparison, but I'll just say that I have no regrets for spending the extra $$$ to buy the D200.

Self portrait:
CJW
Location info: 0
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

I have a Olympus E500 DSLR that has an ultrasonic dust remover built in.. it is an 8.1MP but it has, in my humble opinion a better safety system than the Canons! these are $699!!