Calendar?

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Calendar?

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:I'm going to start working on my own calendar for 2007 (my wife has some calendar making software at home).

Anywho, if anyone wants one I will take whatever I come up with and convert it into a PDF file. I'm hoping that Bill can host it on bamboo web, so anyone will be able to download it and print it. ...snip....

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

-mike.
Mike,

The quality one needs for a website photo is not the same quality as one would need if they are printing a picture. 100K picture on a monitor might look just fine, but printing a decent size picture might be a problem. Any thoughts on the size (MB/meg) you would need in relatlionship to picture printing size?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Calendar?

Post by bambooweb »

Roy,

Good point on the size of photos. I still have the originals on photos that I have resized.

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote: Mike,

The quality one needs for a website photo is not the same quality as one would need if they are printing a picture. 100K picture on a monitor might look just fine, but printing a decent size picture might be a problem. Any thoughts on the size (MB/meg) you would need in relatlionship to picture printing size?
I haven't played with the software at all to know what they suggest, but I'm guessing that any original image (straight out of the camera) would be fine.

I'm going to set it up for 8.5x11 paper, so it can be printed on ordinary paper. The pictures will probably take up ~half the page, so they'll end up similar in size to a 5x7. So, what resolution is needed to print a quality 5x7? To get 300 dpi I'd need 1536 x 2048 (3 mega pixel). Actual size on disk depends on the colors in the picture.

Also, the pictures need to be landscape, not portrait orientation.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Another idea is to print the calendar landscape orientation on 8.5x11 paper, and put the pictures on the back of the previous months days. Print it out, and then bind it along the long edge... That would be a 11x17 calendar with 8.5x11 pictures.

I'll try to make a picture of what I mean... hold on...

Ok, 30 seconds in MS paint... :laughing1:

Image compared to Image
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

I haven't played with the software at all to know what they suggest, but I'm guessing that any original image (straight out of the camera) would be fine.

I'm going to set it up for 8.5x11 paper, so it can be printed on ordinary paper. The pictures will probably take up ~half the page, so they'll end up similar in size to a 5x7. So, what resolution is needed to print a quality 5x7? To get 300 dpi I'd need 1536 x 2048 (3 mega pixel). Actual size on disk depends on the colors in the picture.

Also, the pictures need to be landscape, not portrait orientation.

Mantis,

Right off the bat, let say that after doing a few experiments, I don't really know a lot about what I'm talking about as far as pictures and printing is concerned. With that said, let you give some of what I'm looking at.

I have a 5 megapixil camera. The photos I take are in .jpg, which is a compressed file format that give me little over 2 meg jpeg picture. When I open the picture in Adobe Photoshop Elements I have a picture this size: 26.667 inches by 35.556 inches image. 1920 X 2560 pixels at 72 pixels per inch. If I change it to 300 pixels per inch, I get the same size picture but then it's 8000 x 10667 pixels. This give me a image 244.1 meg large.

Now when I change the pixels to 1536 x 2048, I come up with a 9 meg image with a 5.1 in X 6.8 inch image. Which is not that size really. It's much larger in visual size.

Saving the image at maximum jpg, I get 3.2 meg. If I save it in Photoshop, then I get a 9 meg image.

My brain is on fire :angryfire:, let me give it a rest......

BTW, bamboo is primarily a vertical plant, so horizontal is a little bit more difficult.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Mike, NEBC handed out calendars at a tradeshow. I guess it's a "Limited Edition" only and the photographs are great.
mantis

Post by mantis »

BooKing wrote:Mike, NEBC handed out calendars at a tradeshow. I guess it's a "Limited Edition" only and the photographs are great.
Now that doesn't really help me, does it? :laughing1:

Roy,

I'm sure anything you send would be great. BTW, I still have your fallen B. oldhamii as my desktop image. :)
Last edited by mantis on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Mantis,

Right off the bat, let say that after doing a few experiments, I don't really know a lot about what I'm talking about as far as pictures and printing is concerned. With that said, let you give some of what I'm looking at.

I have a 5 megapixil camera. The photos I take are in .jpg, which is a compressed file format that give me little over 2 meg jpeg picture. When I open the picture in Adobe Photoshop Elements I have a picture this size: 26.667 inches by 35.556 inches image. 1920 X 2560 pixels at 72 pixels per inch. If I change it to 300 pixels per inch, I get the same size picture but then it's 8000 x 10667 pixels. This give me a image 244.1 meg large.

Now when I change the pixels to 1536 x 2048, I come up with a 9 meg image with a 5.1 in X 6.8 inch image. Which is not that size really. It's much larger in visual size.

Saving the image at maximum jpg, I get 3.2 meg. If I save it in Photoshop, then I get a 9 meg image.

My brain is on fire :angryfire:, let me give it a rest......

BTW, bamboo is primarily a vertical plant, so horizontal is a little bit more difficult.
Roy, the problem you are seeing is that dpi does not equal ppi (pixels per inch).

using a 5x7 picture at 300 dpi... 5"x300=1500, 7"x300=2100, so sticking with standard computer picture sizes gives a 1536x2048 image size.

It sounds like your last attempt was the closest to what I was looking for (the 3.2 meg .jpg file) :) Sending the original picture would be fine too.

Yeah, I know that bamboo is typically vertical, but I can't figure out how to make a portrait picture work without having a lot of white space surrounding it. That is why I thought we could do a theme that has elements in it in addition to the bamboo (such as the garden statues).
mantis

Post by mantis »

Well from the overwhelming lack of interest I guess the 2007 pdf calendar isn't going forward at this point.

Bill, if you/ABS are still interested in doing a 2008 printed calendar I'll be more than happy to help in whatever ways I can.

-mike.