Clone X

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Arkansas
Location info: 0

Re: Clone X

Post by Arkansas »

Roy wrote:It gets 2 big, 2 prolific, and 2 hard to get rid of once it is established.
@ Roy - would you say Clone X is as aggressive as Rubro? How would the 2 compare in that regard?
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Arkansas wrote:Anyone ever over-winter CloneX in zone 7?
I planted a 3 gallon last summer. It top-killed at 22f which was our low last winter, a very warm winter for us. It shot several tiny culms back in the Spring and is now shooting a larger one. My hope is that it will be rhizome hardy here and form a neat-looking shrub every year. Bambusa Oldhamii was planted at the same time and has performed similarly. I think this winter won't be as mild as last so we'll see what happens.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Mathew Clone-X should fare better than Oldhammi here it is alot more cold hardy. Arkansas Clone-X is a clumper so comparing aggressiveness with rubro would be apples and oranges. I was once told the Clone-X mine came from had a 40' base and was constantly dug from. Not sure this is the original or Roy's they were talking about. Looking at mine I would guess a Clone-X with a 40' base and full size culms might have an 80' canopy( that sound right Roy?)
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

It came from Roy's. Best I recall 80' plus.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

anyone have any updates on clone X in a zone 7 or 8A?
curious to see what it does in a colder climate
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Glen

Post by Glen »

In a cold winter in 8b, it was badly damaged. If you get below 20 degrees, and especially if you do not warm up during the day, I think it would come close to topkill every year. It has about the same hardiness as Bambusa ventricosa, of which it is probably just a vigorous clone.

If you have hot and humid summers, it may persist as a mess of floppy survival shoots, but it would not come close to its potential.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

I'm zone 7a and i have Clone X i planted out just to see how they would do. I planted 2 small one gallon pots in the Spring of 2013. They have top killed the past 2 winters and i expect them to again soon. We are having a very mild winter thus far with the lowest temp maybe 28 or so. But we often get a few nights in single digits. This year the plants are head high and look good, but i doubt they will ever amount to much. Never know though - don't hurt to try.
Attachments
004 (600x800).jpg
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I can comment for B. ventricosa in here in Zone 5/6. I tried planting this out and it survive for several years and seemed to hold its own until we got the past couple of really bad Winters which killed it. I was impressed with just how quickly it could size up during the Summer, producing shoots over a half inch in diameter by late Summer. I have some Clone X that I will probably divide and plant half out next Spring. (I did keep a backup division of the B. ventricosa, so I didn't lose a species.)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Thanks for the feed back
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

May be worth trying here as teens only happen a few times every few years generally though every year is different
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Jason, seems probable that I'll be moving out of the foothills in a few weeks and will gain that Sacramento County climate boost so I should give this one a try once I get there. It should be a solid zone 9.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

What area you looking at Brad?

I may still try it here in the spring :roll:
once we get the Kanapaha ill see how that does over winter
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:What area you looking at Brad?

I may still try it here in the spring :roll:
once we get the Kanapaha ill see how that does over winter
Not sure exactly but somewhere between Sac & here so easy commute both ways but likely in Sac county so I can add 15-20 degrees to the lows at my current place!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com