What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Any fungi fans out there?

I'm just getting into the hobby and spent a whole day today scavaging for mushrooms, listening to various speakers, sampling mushroom dishes.... yummmmmmm....

Anyway... A speaker was talking about a certain mushroom growing in a country where it was not native. And then stated that it was growing with some bamboo which was also not native and hypothesized that this is how the fungus made its way to whatever country this was (not the US). Wish I could remember the fungus, the bamboo, or EVEN the country but I guess my brain was taking a few moments to itself.

But it started me wondering.... since fungi so often are very specific in their plant associations, which fungi grow around YOUR boo... And I also wonder if you see any fungi that you think is uncommon to your area that possibly came with the boo- probably not from another country due to strict import regulations, but maybe just from elsewhere in the country.

If you don't have names that's fine....
how about pictures?
BooKing

RE: What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by BooKing »

Are you the 'Fungus amongus"....? :lol: :wink:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

So........let me get this straight. We like fungi growing on our bamboo, but not on our feet. Thanks, I appreciate the daily lessons.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

I had some rather nice sized Psilocybe cyanofibrillosa growing in the rich manure I dumped around my Psudosasa Japonica last year.
Maybe thats why I have gone crazy over my madake. I am seeing things.. my bamboo has a sprit and comes in rainbow colours, and has comanded me to feed it .. mulch, .. .MulCh.. wow.. trippy. :roll: :twisted:

No, seriously I did have some around my bamboo, but they are native here, so sorry.:lol:

ON A CAUTIOUS NOTE!! For NW bamboo growers in particular, be wary of Cryptococcus Neformans and C.Gatti! These yeasts are LETHAL! In Parksville there have been human cases and a few have died from it.
There is a constant watch from the Canadian Centre for Disease Controll in around these areas.
Any soil especially those bound around subtropical species of trees, possibly bamboos, and palms are suspect. This is a subtropical/tropical disease.
http://www.cher.ubc.ca/cryptococcus/new/bc.htm

http://www.valleyfeversurvivor.com/vfsm ... a1b178696e

I inquired with Taylor Lockwood who gave the presentation and he reported that the mushroom was Dictyophora indusiata and it was growing in a bamboo grove in Puerto Rica.
Internet research shows that it is called the "Veiled Lady Mushroom"- very descriptive given its appearance- and also the "Bamboo Mushroom". Apparantly they even cultivate it with bamboo waste (leaves, twigs, etc) where it does not grow naturally. Its apparantly quite a delicacy in China, but considering that it is in the Stinkhorn family, I'm not totally sure that this would translate well to the American palette. Its very interesting to look at in any case. So who has spores to share?

So........let me get this straight. We like fungi growing on our bamboo, but not on our feet. Thanks, I appreciate the daily lessons.
You think foot fungus is creepy. If you find Cordyceps popping up in your yard, it is likely attached to a dead insect which it has mummified down below.

Cordyceps- the Viagara of the Chinese. Yummmmm.

So I was doing some more internet research on this topic today, and here is some of what I found:

From Inbar:
5) Bamboo + edible fungi
There are a large number of edible fungi regarded as natural food rich in vegetable proteins. Among these,Dictyophora tomentosa,Plenrotus ostreatus and Aurricularia auriculajudoe can be cultured in bamboo stands, which satisfy the fungi ?s need for humidity,shade and a fertile bed. A bed of decayed bamboo litter and cotton shells,placed evenly on the ground up to a height of 10 cm,is used as the substrate.Inoculation of Dictyophora sp.is done in September for varieties that grow in no temperature and in May-June for those that require a higher temperature. Harvest is after 4-8 months,depending on the fungus variety.P.ostreatus is inoculated in March and harvested two months later.A.auriculajudoe needs to be cultured in bags filled with the growth medium and hung on the bamboo.
Please define "no temperature" :shock: Anyway, Gee- I ALWAYS wanted to grow "Judas' Ear Fungus" in bags hanging from my bamboo! :lol: (Auricularia auricula-judae- note spelling if you want to learn more)

Oh, I wish I could find a source for Dictyophora spawn! Really, it is very beautiful!
http://images.google.com/images?q=Dicty ... rch+Images

Pleurotus ostreatus (again note the spelling if you wish to find more) is a very interesting suggestion. Its what you probably know as the "oyster mushroom". Quite easy to grow, but injecting ones grove might be a little more controversial. Now Pleurotus is saprophytic meaning that it grows on dead trees, but apparantly it can occassionally be found on dying organisms as well. A new way to stress your bamboo into flowering, perhaps????????? It could be quite beautiful to behold though as there are white ones, yellow ones, pink ones, lilac grey and grey brown ones depending on the strain.

I guess as a safeguard with this technique one could also innoculate the grove with Glomus, which has been shown to have a beneficial effect on bamboo.
http://mycorrhiza.ag.utk.edu/latest/lat ... ravik1.htm

I've been reading an awesome book called Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets, founder of Fungi Perfecti (www.fungi.com) and it surely paints a wonderful portrait of the role of the fungi kingdom. Subtitle: "How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World". Makes me want to grow something fungal fo sho.

Oh, by the way- if you want to gnaw on Judas' ear fungus, you can buy spores here:

http://www.mushroomsfmrc.com/sporebank.html

There seems to be quite a bit of literature supporting the positive benefits of mycorrhiza on bamboo seedlings. There is even a species of Glomus known as Glomus chimnobambusae.
etymology: Latin, chimonobambusae refers to the genus name of the host (Chimonobambusa quadrangularis), from the rhizosphere of which the spores were recovered.

There are probably many online sources for VAM (mycorrhiza), but Fungi Perfecti seems to rely heavily on Glomus in their formulations for plant growth. This may or may not be an important factor for the boo grower or even a distinguishing feature among those offering the VAM.

But, at 2.95 for enough to coat 8lb of seed, I just might have to get some before I attempt any seed germination.

An interesting bit I garnered from Mycelium Running was how researchers showed that two trees sharing the same mycorhizza could beneficially share nutrients. They covered a Douglas fir so that it couldn't photosynthezie sugars. They were able to track the flow of sugar from the root zone of a birch which shared the same mycorhizza. The transfer was proportional to the amount of shading. Another experiment showed a transfer of nitrogen from alder to pine.

It seems to me that a good web of subterrainian fungi might be a good hedge against bamboos that perhaps aren't getting the benefit of as much sun as they might prefer because they have to be placed for wind and/or thermal protection. It also seems that some nitrogen fixing trees nearby with shared mycorrhiza might be a big boon.

hehehe..... Another thing mushrooms have in common with boo besides their running subterrainian networks and overnight emergence.... in the book Mycelium Running, there is a picture of a mushroom- shaggy mane to be precise- bursting up through asphalt. Stamets says that the pressure can be great enough to sometimes break concrete. He sites an episode in the 1980's in which shaggy mane broke through asphalt on a mountain highway in CO, costing thousands of dollars for damage and repair. I don't know that shaggy mane is any worse in this respect than others, but it sounds like it is one of the most apt to show up quickly near disturbed sites such as a newly laid highway. Apparantly, it is a fine edible and quite common, prone to showing up where high nitogen fertilizers have been used on the lawn- maybe some of you booophiles have seen it.

So, next time someone tells you that boo breaks up asphalt, you can tell them that a little mushroom will do the same! The question is how often would either organism want to bother with such habitats.

Mushroom Erupting thru Asphalt

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/image/63606786

A quick search yielded a photo of this mushroom (not shaggy mane) erupting thru the asphalt.

Yippeee! :D I found a source to buy the "Bamboo mushroom"- Phallus indusiatus (aka: Dictyophora indusiata). They culture it at Penn State and sell. But at $125++, I'll probably wait until I've honed my mycological skills!

Somebody!!!! Say something!

Must ... Free..... Self.... from.....
monologue mode!

Resistence.... growing.... THIN!!!! :cyclopsani:
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

Have you been able to find anything else on the vascular arbuscular mycorrhiza Fungi Perfecti. I would be interested to see how well it works. From what I have read about the subject there is a lot of potential in this area. I remember when I was taking an advanced soil science class we hit pretty heavily on the subject. It seemed to me that that a lot of plants could benefit from it and our dependence on fertilizers would be significantly decreased. Anyhow keep me posted.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Sorry,
I have nothing to add, but wanted to help break up the monotony of all the rainbow smiley faces! :wink:
Rick
Joseph Clemens
USDA Zone 9 (Some winters Zone 8)

Post by Joseph Clemens »

I've treated some of my bamboo plantings with Trichoderma harzianum. A product called RootShield. I can't be sure it has made any difference, but most plantings are doing well.

Despite the fact that all of my outdoor plantings are irrigated by microsprinklers on a timer, unknown varieties of fungi occasionally appear among my bamboo, but especially right after any rain. I think one is a slime mold, shows up as a sulfur yellow glob - slimy at first, but quickly solidifies and the interior appears to contain a mass of powdery brown spores.
Joseph Clemens
Tucson, Arizona, USA