When to harvest seed?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Black Dog
Location info: 0

When to harvest seed?

Post by Black Dog »

Hi, I’m a new member, this is my second post so please be nice. I’m also very new to bamboo and have come here to learn.

I’ve noticed some Phyllostachys Nigra growing by the road and it’s in flower. Great bunches of seeds hanging over the fence so I figure they’re for the taking if I want. What I want to know is how can I tell when the seeds are ready and will be fully mature for planting?
Black Dog

Re: When to harvest seed?

Post by Black Dog »

Anyone know? I thought this would be the place to ask.
dependable

Post by dependable »

My experience gathering seed is limited to Fargesa types. Generally I think they will be able to be shaken loose from husks when they are approaching ripeness. The seeds do not tend to be viable for a long, so it is good to try to germinate right after harvest.

To answer your other post, my nigra is not in flower, but it is not a significant stand due to repeated freezing, so it might not show right away.
Black Dog

Post by Black Dog »

Aah, this is helpful. I’d plucked a few seed heads off the canes hanging over the fence, but I’d be better off shaking them loose. I didn’t think the seeds were really ripe the way I collected them. Might go back today with a container to catch seeds.
Thankyou!
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I lay a tarp under the plant to catch the seeds. Don't force seeds to drop. Rgds
Black Dog

Post by Black Dog »

fredgpops wrote:I lay a tarp under the plant to catch the seeds. Don't force seeds to drop. Rgds
I’d love to be able to do this but it’s not my bamboo and the part that hangs over the fence is on public property on a busy road. I think people would most likely interfere and probably steal the tarp. What I’ve been thinking of doing is keeping an eye on it to see if any start to sprout on the roadside and if so I will dig a few up.
Glen

Post by Glen »

If the seeds come loose in your hand with very gentle pressure, they should be mature enough to germinate. If they need to be plucked off, they are not yet ready.
Wendellbe

Post by Wendellbe »

And if they fall off on their own? Does that mean it's too late?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

No. If you shake them off and they contain intact grain, they should be ripe and ready to germinate.