Article on Quora: Why isn't bamboo wood a bigger worldwide..

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bren
Location info: 0

Article on Quora: Why isn't bamboo wood a bigger worldwide..

Post by bren »

Why isn't bamboo wood a bigger worldwide industry, since it grows so quickly and is so strong? Couldn't it replace lumber and save many trees?

TL;DR: bamboo wood doesn’t exist, and bamboo is not very good at replacing real wood in most situations.

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-bamboo-w ... many-trees
Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Article on Quora: Why isn't bamboo wood a bigger worldwi

Post by Tarzanus »

Well, I could partly agree with some of the statements, but not all.
Bamboo can be used in all kind of industries, textile for example. It can be used to make paper so that you don't need to cut down a tree that was growing for 50 years or more. That's just nonsense.
Bamboo wood can be better option sometimes and can replace hardwood. Flooring, furniture production, you name it.
And about burning, who said you need to burn whole bamboo culms? Even hardwood is now often burnt in a pelleted form. Low quality logs get ground down and are used as wood pellets. They also don't burn long and yet they are extremely effective and quite popular - at least around here in these parts of Europe.

Well, I changed my mind, I can't agree on practically anything he wrote. I say they should just stop chopping down hardwood and replace the majority of it with bamboo or other fast growing alternatives to hardwood where possible. There are products where hardwood is essential and can not be replaced, why not keep the wood to use it where you really need it.