Looking for KR suggestions

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Looking for KR suggestions

Post by Deane »

Hi gentlemen and ladies could you good people give me some suggestions on some KR’s for my climate ,I live in Harwich south England in one of the driest part of uk although you wouldn’t think so, normal no lower that -5c, coastal. I have irrigation. I have many Phyllostachys and Fargesia but only one Borinda CS1046 and was looking to add some to my collection many thanks
wolfedg

Re: Looking for KR suggestions

Post by wolfedg »

At least one of us would like to know what a 'KR' is. (Sorry if im missing something completely obvious).
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

A series of bamboo were collected by Keith Rushforth and those are presently being referred to as KR forms. I think some are landing in the Fargesia genus others perhaps Borinda? Chris I suspect knows the details.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

wolfedg wrote:At least one of us would like to know what a 'KR' is. (Sorry if im missing something completely obvious).
sorry wolf for being presumptuous,I thought People on here knew all about them, I only know the same as Brad has kindly replied with
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Well I must chime in....even though I’m busted and certainly shouldn’t be looking at my iPhone here in Costa Rica....but...

KR 1046 is stunning. I’m not sure if any borinda / fargesia compares to the true blue it gives off..... that being said there are a few I’m growing and steffen is also a good testament becuse he’s growing a few also.

Heres some I’d suggest
4175 (aff papyrifera ),7613, 5287, 5913 are ones ive sourced and I’m expecting to really make and impact in the garden.

What ones are you looking at ?

32 feels like 40c in Samara....
steffen

Post by steffen »

I would not recommend 5913, although it is probably the most hardy of the KRs it grows very untidily, similar to Faresia utilis. 4175 is certainly not related to papyrifera, but I think 7613 could be a papyrifera, at least it looks similar to me (picture attached).
In addition, 6439 and 6791 developed to very big plants in my garden looking similar to 5287. 5177 is different with much shorter rhizome necks and a more Fargesia-like appearance.
Steffen
7613_1_small.jpg
Chris S
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Mike Bell is growing more than 20 of KR's bamboo introductions in Cornwall, and he wrote about 19 of them, and several other Borinda bamboos in 2 articles in 2011 & 2012 in the UK Bamboo Society Newsletter. These articles were reprinted together in the ABS Magazine June 2012 Vol. 33 Issue 3: 13-20, which is available to ABS members in the Publications section of the ABS website. Many more can be seen growing at Ness Botanic Garden in Cheshire. In 2013 67 KR bamboos were alive there, while 20 had probably died.
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Steffen,

Excuse me if this has been discussed before but would you rate the Kr 7613 hardier then cs 1046? Are your growing this outside ?

I’ll be in search now of the 6439 and 6791. I was trying to source the 5913 but I’ll take your word on it and pass for that one.

A longer rhizome neck should equal a better spaced out plant would it not ?
steffen

Post by steffen »

Yes KR 7613 is hardier then 1046. 1046 is to tender for our climate. I tried it outside years ago but it sadly died after only about -12°C. In contrast 7613 is happy outside for many years now. The length of the rhizome neck equals the spacing of the culms.
Steffen
Deane

Post by Deane »

Chris S wrote:Mike Bell is growing more than 20 of KR's bamboo introductions in Cornwall, and he wrote about 19 of them, and several other Borinda bamboos in 2 articles in 2011 & 2012 in the UK Bamboo Society Newsletter. These articles were reprinted together in the ABS Magazine June 2012 Vol. 33 Issue 3: 13-20, which is available to ABS members in the Publications section of the ABS website. Many more can be seen growing at Ness Botanic Garden in Cheshire. In 2013 67 KR bamboos were alive there, while 20 had probably died.
Thanks Chris I will try and get the two articles by Mike Bell, I am not a member of any society as yet but Jane and Andy from The Rodings plantery friends of mine are, and also they are very good friends with Mike Bell so I expect there KR’s come from Mike in the first place
Deane

Post by Deane »

steffen wrote:I would not recommend 5913, although it is probably the most hardy of the KRs it grows very untidily, similar to Faresia utilis. 4175 is certainly not related to papyrifera, but I think 7613 could be a papyrifera, at least it looks similar to me (picture attached).
In addition, 6439 and 6791 developed to very big plants in my garden looking similar to 5287. 5177 is different with much shorter rhizome necks and a more Fargesia-like appearance.
Steffen
7613_1_small.jpg
Thanks for the replys Steffen and Kailey, Steffen do you have a picture of 7613 showing the hole plant at all
steffen

Post by steffen »

The only Picture I found is 3 years old and during Winter. The plant is much bigger now.
Steffen
20141223_153102_small.jpg
Deane

Post by Deane »

steffen wrote:The only Picture I found is 3 years old and during Winter. The plant is much bigger now.
Steffen
thank you, a very Beautiful bamboo
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Whew, I'm glad the species and varieties eventually get ID'd/named. Imagine how confusing it would be if they were all just numbers? :shock:
Mr.Bean

Post by Mr.Bean »

steffen wrote:The only Picture I found is 3 years old and during Winter. The plant is much bigger now.
Steffen
That is lovely! I'm glad it has proved hardier for you than the cs 1046. I'm looking forward to this and others from the KR series becoming available in the U.S.A., however long that takes... :roll:
Evan