Buying Potted Bamboo: Propagation Question

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ZZZ
Location info: 0

Buying Potted Bamboo: Propagation Question

Post by ZZZ »

Good evening--

I have recently purchased a 20-gallon bamboo from the Bambusa family that consists of one thick, mature shoot (over 2" in diameter) and a few very thin canes. Should I surmise that this bamboo was propagated from the cane and thus does not have a rhizome ball at this point, in which case I should not expect a true rhizome shoot for a few seasons? Trying to anticipate how much growth I will see this coming summer, especially with my neighbors having inexplicably cut down a beautiful old 80ft ficus tree next door so that they can build a bigger driveway for themselves; am looking forward to having my bamboo grow and screen that out ASAP...

Thank you!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Buying Potted Bamboo: Propagation Question

Post by needmore »

Which culms are the darker green, assuming they are green? It is possible that the thin canes were the division and the thick one grew after the dividing but probably the other way around, the wee guys came from the big guy - in any case the richest color should be the youngest.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ZZZ

Post by ZZZ »

Thanks Brad--

The wide culm in question is definitely the eldest in this clump; there are two other very thin culms that appear to have sprouted more recently. I sent a cordial email to the guy who sold me this particular bamboo where I asked him the above questions; he responded with a one-sentence reply telling me that I will be happy with the bamboo.

I have little understanding of the propagation process: are the majority of the bambusa species propagated by breaking off a culm from a mother plant, or are they grown by seeds?
needmore

Post by needmore »

I can't speak to the majority, I've noticed that most I've bought seem to be culm cuttings where a branch node becomes the new plant, yours sounds like it might be the same.
webgator

Post by webgator »

How tall is the main culm? So you have a picture?

I ask as I have taken many single culm divisions that send up what I call whip shoots first, followed later in the season by some much nicer sized culms.

Propagation made from culm cuttings will be the same, but yes, do take longer to establish much larger sized culms as the amount of rhizome mass is not there.
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Brad - Are you referring to double node propagation? My experience propagating via double node is not good. I have purchased some double node from a guy who was very good at it. It's a slow process and most of what he selected were small diameter, short culms. Again, my exposure is limited but I can't envision a nursery screwing around with this method of propagation. Rgds
needmore

Post by needmore »

Fred, these are either double or single node divisions. In Hawai'i it was common to find B vulgaris Vittata divisions for sale that were single or double node culm cuttings that had the hollow end of the cutting rammed into soil to fill it partially, then the whole thing was potted.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Limited experience on my part. May be a better mode of propagation in the tropics. Thx Fred
needmore

Post by needmore »

Plants I've bought from two nurseries out here have all been culm cuttings, I recently paid $300 for one and $150 for another, I hope they take off.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Impressive size. I've only had 2 (sulcata 1 gals) double nodes survive out of (guess) about 50 attempts (various clumper species). My survival rate for clumper division propagation is in the 50% range. My last 3 purchases - 2 divisions and 1 tissue culture. Last I checked (a couple of years ago) the local wholesale grower was into tissue culture and a hydro growth setup. Other stats (my attempts) - division propagation on runners is running about 96%, seed propagation (clumpers) is 2 hits out of about 15 tries, and root propagation (runners) runs about 35%. Is Jesus into double node? Rgds
needmore

Post by needmore »

He is into culm cuttings for sure, I'm not sure if they are double or single but that is where my recent ones came from. After seeing Jesus' Textillis Moraensis and Albovariegata clumps in ground I bought one of each and they appear to be recent culm cuttings. All of the plants I've received from Robert in FL are culm cuttings.
Glen

Post by Glen »

needmore wrote:He is into culm cuttings for sure, I'm not sure if they are double or single but that is where my recent ones came from. After seeing Jesus' Textillis Moraensis and Albovariegata clumps in ground I bought one of each and they appear to be recent culm cuttings. All of the plants I've received from Robert in FL are culm cuttings.
Just curious...what is Textillis Moraensis? I have not heard of that cultivar?
needmore

Post by needmore »

It is Jesus Mora's self-named cultivar Moraensis - of course it can not yet be a real name the way it has evolved I beleive as I am unaware of any publication on same. He discovered an old large clump of Textillis that had some nearly cream colored culm, lots of cream and green patches all over the culms. The owner let him dig some out. It sizes up like a normal form and divisions have been consistent. I know there is a photo here somewhere that Jason posted, I think a 1 gal went for $1,000 at the ABS auction.

Most I have ever paid for a plant was this one I found it so striking, he also has a heavily striped form that is a bit more common Albostriata and seeing them both in person showed they are different extremes of cream colored so I gambled on both as they were obviously recent culm cuttings. Hope they take!

This link is to an image of it.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Thank you, Brad. I will have to watch for that one...once the price drops a little. :D
needmore

Post by needmore »

I paid up for mine and am not sure it is on solid footing, if so divisions in a couple years or so...