BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mature Lithophila
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 pm 

Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21 Location Details
I'd like to share a happy moment with my bamboo friends. I planted lithophila in 2006 hoping that it would be a hardier replacement for bambusoides, which has a difficult time growing here. I have not been disappointed. Lithophila spreads quickly, produces many shoots, and survived times when bambusoides was top killed.

My plans have been to use it for building structures, and for my bow making hobby. I've had my eye on this culm since it came up several years ago, and have been waiting patiently (sorta) for it to mature.

This is my first cane harvest of a mature culm. It measured 3" X 45', and was free of branches to 25'. I have found lithophila's wood to be strong and flexible. I'll use this one to make bows.

Thanks for sharing my happy moment.

Attachments:
IMG_20171012_144902.jpg
IMG_20171012_144902.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 1412 times ]
IMG_20171012_142927.jpg
IMG_20171012_142927.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 1412 times ]
IMG_20171012_150639.jpg
IMG_20171012_150639.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 1412 times ]
IMG_20171012_142557.jpg
IMG_20171012_142557.jpg [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 1412 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mature Lithophila
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 am 

Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
i am looking forward to mine to grow. We just moved here a year ago so i am far behind you but its about the happiest bamboo i have here so far

Placerville Ca
Elevation 3000 ft
Zone 8B ( probably 8A )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 pm 

Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21 Location Details
It is a rewarding bamboo. Do you have plans for your lithophila?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 am 

possibly chicken coops and i want to make walking sticks with various bamboos. Think with my climate it should get rather large diameter here.

Placerville Ca
Elevation 3000 ft
Zone 8B ( probably 8A )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:26 am 

David,

Thank you for posting this information, and congratulations on your success! There is not much information online about Phyllostachys lithophila, so it is very useful to hear your report.

I do not have to deal with extreme cold, but P. bambusoides has given me some trouble due to the periodic drought and flooding that I have here. From what I can tell, P. lithophila is probably just a different form of P. bambusoides, and I had also hoped that it would serve as a more tolerant replacement for the "ordinary" P. bambusoides.

My plant is still small, but is has seemed to deal with the vagaries of my climate well, so your post gives me hope that it will someday achieve a large size here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm 

David, nice work! What are the lowest of the lows that has been exposed to and have you endure multiple successive days of sub-freezing 'highs' - the deep freeze?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 am 

Glen wrote:
David,

Thank you for posting this information, and congratulations on your success! There is not much information online about Phyllostachys lithophila, so it is very useful to hear your report.

I do not have to deal with extreme cold, but P. bambusoides has given me some trouble due to the periodic drought and flooding that I have here. From what I can tell, P. lithophila is probably just a different form of P. bambusoides, and I had also hoped that it would serve as a more tolerant replacement for the "ordinary" P. bambusoides.

My plant is still small, but is has seemed to deal with the vagaries of my climate well, so your post gives me hope that it will someday achieve a large size here.

Mine along with my nigra bory and semiarundinaria fastuosa are my most drought tolerant

Placerville Ca
Elevation 3000 ft
Zone 8B ( probably 8A )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 am 

Jason,

How long has your plant been in the ground, and how large have the culms gotten?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 am 

Glen wrote:
Jason,

How long has your plant been in the ground, and how large have the culms gotten?

only a year. we moved here August of 2016. i had it in a 45 gallon tub before. plant is about 6 ft tall 4 ft wide extremely bushy. ill check the culm size tomorrow. nothing large yet though

Placerville Ca
Elevation 3000 ft
Zone 8B ( probably 8A )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm 

Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific 35 miles S. of San Jose
Drought tolerance, from my perspective, is not based on a species. It's based upon maturity of the plant. I have a few larger groves that I do not water in summer but survive and flourish. They have the ability to extract water, primarily from external conditions like fog. I think that some species may have the ability to ward off disease but frankly could be determined by maturity . My litho took a major hit this summer because it was a plant I elected not to water on a regular basis. It did not do any better or worse than plants exposed to similar conditions. RGds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:35 am 

Thanks Glen. As Fred said Lithophila probably has average drought tolerance. We have had several droughts since I first planted it and it survived all those without watering.

Hi Brad. Winter 2013 - 14 had a couple of sub zero nights, but they were not successive. We did have several days of successive below freezing highs. Probably lost 10% - 15% of the culms. Some of the taller culms the top froze, but lower branches and leaves survived. 6b with the occasional 6a day is probably its limit.