Picked up a Borinda Papyrifera CS1046

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

cordyman
Location info: 0

Picked up a Borinda Papyrifera CS1046

Post by cordyman »

Went to UK bamboos to pick up some more robusta and couldn't resist the Borinda, been on the list for many years, the large specimen he had was such a striking shade of blue, albeit over my budget (and fitting in car :lol: ) The other type KR I think wasn't ready for sale.

-15*c will do me, although the spot i'm locating it has canopy shelter overhead and gets a washingtonia robusta through with a single fleece bag, so don't have any hardiness doubts...

CS1046 colouration...

Also picked up some more Robusta (apparently campbell is robusta and its an american naming thing), neighbours cut down a huge hedge of leylandi, leaving some huge exposure to garden from a wind, privacy and microclimate perspective, so planting two new boo screens.

Ended up with tarp as ran of of soil tipping space, putting in some rhizome barrier, 60cm deep by 3 foot across trench in progress

Followed by potter round Matlock Bath afterwards drunken_smilie1

Opened the bamboos once home, and looking like a decent hedge aleady :D

cordyman

Re: Picked up a Borinda Papyrifera CS1046

Post by cordyman »

Updated trench pics, not used bamboo barrier before so hoping its easy to work with...

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Looks good but I am curious why the rhizome barrier?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Morning Needmore, I didn't use barrier on my currently planted Robusta screen, after 5 years its now growing right up to the rootballs and starting to wrap around the rootballs of nearby plants. I've tried the twice yearly dig around the perimeter with a spade to severe any rhizomes, but this Spring new culms popped up next to my Yucca Rostrata, a Cordyline, and a Trachy Wag...

My other boos in comparison are very behaved and don't seem to pop up anywhere close to existing rootballs, i've not even had to spade perimeter the following others

Fargesia Robusta Wolong, Fargesia Scabrida, Fargesia jiuzhaigou, Fargesia Nitida Great Wall

Encrocaching my Yucca Rostrata

Cordyline

Took some right digging out

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Cordymnan - Lovely garden and grounds and beautifully grown plants. Is that a bushy waggie I see or is it a Chamaerops humilis or the Washingtonia to which you refer? Lover to see shots of you F. sp. 'Scabrida'!

I think you r pix are out of order and must confess I still don't know how to upload them so they appear in the correct order between comments.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Ah, I see, perhaps a good plan for future for me would be to dig off the perimeter before it encroaches and I have room, good to know.

John, I can place the photo wherever I like in the post by placing the cursor where I want it and then insert the image tag.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Thx Brad.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

That borinda is one of my favorites. FWIW mine died back @-9.9c. One culm has remained but it's defoliated. I guess we'll see if it shoots big or small now.

Love how big that robusta is of yours !!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

johnw wrote:Cordymnan - Lovely garden and grounds and beautifully grown plants. Is that a bushy waggie I see or is it a Chamaerops humilis or the Washingtonia to which you refer? Lover to see shots of you F. sp. 'Scabrida'!

I think you r pix are out of order and must confess I still don't know how to upload them so they appear in the correct order between comments.

john

Thanks John.

Theres a small trachycarpus wagnerianus next to the current Robusta screen, a larger waggy, a fortune, and a blue Chamaerops Cerifera, with a Washintonia palm on the decking.

You can see the washy, fortune and cerifera here

Gives a nice outdoor room feel when sat on the deck

The deeper green palm here is the waggy, super wind resistant

Got some pretty decent Musa Basjoo clumps which were in flower last summer

and not forgetting the bamboo, I thinned out the smaller canes last year so it looks to have some larger ones shooting now in the middle

Last edited by cordyman on Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:That borinda is one of my favorites. FWIW mine died back @-9.9c. One culm has remained but it's defoliated. I guess we'll see if it shoots big or small now.

Love how big that robusta is of yours !!!

Thanks Van, i'll definitely pick a sheltered spot for it to help it establish :)

Was -9.9*c an overnight low with a cold day to follow, or did it warm up?

Ps. John i'll get some pics of the other Fargesias over the weekend.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

We had a real bad winter with lots of below freezing nights. The day time high that one day was probably 1c. It was just that we got about a week of freezing night time temps in a row.

Cs 1046 is blue and a really nice one at that. The problem is though it's really truly not Hardy for us here. I see your growing Dicksonia Antarctica though so if your not protecting them then I wouldn't bother protecting the borinda. It's will do totally fine for you.

KR 7613 is said to be hardier but not as blue as cs 1046.

Kailey in Comox.
steffen

Post by steffen »

I had both plants (CS 1046 and KR 7613) and lost the 1046 years ago at a Tmin of only -12 °C. KR 7613 is indeed much more hardy, no problems to about -16°C. Both are very blue and 7613 has very attractive small leaves.
Here are some pictures from new shoots (last year) and also very recent pictures:
https://forum.bambus-deutschland.de/ind ... post155190
(second post)
https://forum.bambus-deutschland.de/ind ... post157328
(post no. 7 in this thread)
Steffen