Its been a while: Update (I guess)

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

canadianplant
Location info: 0

Its been a while: Update (I guess)

Post by canadianplant »

So, to keep it simple: I killed everything. Some personal manure happened, school happened and I didnt get a chance to protect my plants (P "alata", and my F rufa.) They managed to survive an average winter with no protection, and half top kill, but a second winter as such did them both in.

However, due to some possible foresight, I purchased a small F. nitida from humber nursery 3 years ago, and it is doing amazing. Just protected with leaves and has had no damage what so ever. No drying of leaves, no leaf death or anything. I have big hopes for this guy, and hopefully this year it will take off.

Also, last year it just so happens Home depot was selling 5 gallon F rufa for 40 bucks. Needless to say I even carried it home. Considering it was probably grown in S. Ontario, there was very little damage done to it, although we had a solid zone 5 winter. There was some leaf death on the side closest to the tarp (I bent the whole plant down bury it and tarp it during winter) but this seems to stop after a year or two with my other bamboo I have had. Ill post some pics soon.
canadianplant

Re: Its been a while: Update (I guess)

Post by canadianplant »

Fargesia Rufa.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Maybe you folks in the far north are going to benefit from the global warming. Another decade or two and you could have a nice grove of P bissetti.

Anyway, good to see you on the forum again.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

thanks dependable

More updates.

F nitida

F rufa shoots!