Yellowing Leaves

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

jwbelvi
Location info: 0

Yellowing Leaves

Post by jwbelvi »

Hey everyone! I am a huge fan of bamboo and have been fro a while, but just recently, finally got my own plant. Ive had it for a few weeks. Its arrow bamboo in a pot, and some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow from the outside in... Im not sure whats causing it.. I truthfully think its over-watering... but does this look like something else? Maybe a nutrient deficiency??
Attachments
IMGP0346.JPG
pokenei

Re: Yellowing Leaves

Post by pokenei »

From my experience, leaves turn yellow when there's a sudden drop in temperature or during change of season usually in late Autumn. It could be due to too much moisture, but I doubt it. I had killed some potted plants (including bamboo) by over watering and with poor drainage before, but don't recall seeing the yellowing of leaves. The leaves would just wither and die in cases of drowning or root rot.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I think some species lose their leaves in spring. Not sure if that's one of them.
dependable

Post by dependable »

It could be a nutrient deficiency, more likely nitrogen, but possibly potassium. You could apply a few mild doses of water soluble plant food over a couple of weeks and see if the leaves improve.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I would point out that nutrient deficiency is tarely the cause of yellowing. Pseudosasa japonica often yellows a bit if its roots got disturbed (after you take a division for example), when seriously underwatered and when it branches out at the node where the leaf is growing.
Pseudosasa japonica is extremely resilient when it comes to being inside a confined pot. It can take quite a lot of neglect, low light conditions, poor soil and tolerates even some overwatering. When the roots recover it gets almost indestructable. I have kept my divisions in small pots for a couple of years with hardly any watering, completely dried out, outside in the open. They did get somewhat pale, but they managed to grow just fine. They were in a bonsai state though, never reaching any upsize.

If you bought a freshly taken division, some yellowing is to be expected. The leaves will be replaced with new culms in a few months, when the roots take off. If the older culms look bad, you can just remove them after the new shoots leaf out comoletely. I wouldn't worry too much.