Edible shoots?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Wind D Ranch
Location info: 0

Edible shoots?

Post by Wind D Ranch »

I have a stand of A. gigantea in my yard that I planted about 4 years ago and it is beginning to really take off. I normally control the spread by mowing around the perimeter but this year I have so many shoots popping up that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wasting an opportunity. So for all you bamboo guru's, are A. gigantea shoots edible? If so, how are they prepared and have any of you tried them? I'm really interested in trying them if possible. :?:
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Edible shoots?

Post by foxd »

Wind D Ranch wrote:So for all you bamboo guru's, are A. gigantea shoots edible?
Yes, yes they are.
Wind D Ranch wrote:If so, how are they prepared and have any of you tried them?
I have read that the shoots can be cooked as a pot herb. There are also some references to eating the shoots raw.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
cole

Post by cole »

To those of us still taking flashlights out to our garden to check for new shoots at 3am, that's like reading a request for any good puppy recipes. :shock:
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Haha! True. But then again, when you have bamboo shoots growing all around and need to keep them contained, you can easily make yourself a quick 3am snack. :mrgreen:
Wind D Ranch

Post by Wind D Ranch »

cole wrote:To those of us still taking flashlights out to our garden to check for new shoots at 3am, that's like reading a request for any good puppy recipes. :shock:
Now that is funny! So, I tried a few raw and they don't seem to be too appetizing. I'll keep messing around with different ideas and recipes to see how that works.

I also think I'll give the bamboo a little more area to grow. It is doing so well that I can't help but think that more is better!

Thanks for the input. :D
cole

Post by cole »

Tarzanus wrote:Haha! True. But then again, when you have bamboo shoots growing all around and need to keep them contained, you can easily make yourself a quick 3am snack. :mrgreen:
Goals.