Changing climate

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

cole
Location info: 0

Changing climate

Post by cole »

Funny how politics possibly had influence on the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. As skiers living in the Northern Poconos of Northeast Pennsylvania, the upward temperature trends have had their pluses and minuses. Our snowmakers make less snow, and we have fewer ski days, but our gardens are thriving earlier and longer.

I've always followed the USDA map when considering new plants, but my own records indicate the Abor Day Foundation map is far more accurate. Our 17 year average record low is now -5.1F, which pulls us out of 5b and drops us squarely in 6a/b. Through most of the 1900s, we regularly had temps in the -20sF and even a few at -30F. Seventeen years might be too short of a span for some people, but it's how many winters we've lived here full-time. And last year's stretch of -16F caused some top-kill, but you can't live your life worrying about 100-year-floods.

Here's their cool map that with interactive changes from '90-'06:
https://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

And here's there even mostly warmer map from 2015:
https://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

And the USDA, of course:
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

I suppose the best thing is to keep your own records, especially if you are influenced by a micro-climate.
wolfedg

Re: Changing climate

Post by wolfedg »

Knowing the state of the internet these days I'll probably be trolled pretty heavy for this, but here goes.
There is no doubt there is climate change in the world as it is completely observable. What I personally question is if it is really as bad as some people are making it out to be. There are some predictions from the past that would've already had most of the coastal US flooded if they had come true, but they never did. Does man even have a role in it? Even if man does indeed have a role in it should one country (namely the US) regulate themselves to death in the international marketplace whilst other foreign nations completely disregard it and pump immense amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere far exceeding anything we in the US do?

My take on it is that the earth is self balancing and the climate is cyclical over a long (more than the relatively short time man has kept records) time. As more CO2 is produced the plants thrive more and take up more.

Here is where I would rant about what I believe to be the real agenda of the climate change pushers, but suffice to say this is not about saving the earth, rather it is about control and taking peoples freedoms away in the name of a supposedly good cause.

Sorry for the rant, its just my take on things as it is a hot topic these days.

Anyways for now the warmer climate is somewhat of a boon for those of us growing in marginal climates.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
dependable

Post by dependable »

No worries, perhaps add to this thread.

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6710

Climate seems " a little off" to me, this spring in particular..
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I'm trying to figure out how to respond to this because the events are kind of complicated. And there were parallels with the antics of batshit crazy in Connecticut which later proved useful.

Back about 1998 a group I was associated with was targeted by a hoaxer. While the hoax was immediately seen through by the group, the group was dragged through Hell by the media and one reporter in particular who worked very hard to keep the hoax propped up. A lot of effort was spent dealing with the fallout from the anonymous hoaxer and tracking down who he was. That in itself was educational since I got to learn how things were found out about the hoaxer and his supporters, including finding hidden directories on websites.

To make a long story short, I noticed a mistake a Global Warming Denier made which gave me access to hidden directories on his website, which I downloaded. I read many emails and documents that day that showed in no uncertain terms that the professional Global Warming Deniers believe that it is happening, plan to profit from it, gloat over the possible death toll and regard the people that believe them as fools. I backed up the files to floppy disks and put them in my desk and began considering how I could leak them to the media.

When I came in the next day all the disks were taken from my desk and the hard drive was missing. Nobody would say a word. At the time I had no clue what had happened, how it had happened and who was responsible. I tried to get the files again but the security hole had been closed. As a result I have thought about these things for many years.

Years later you can imagine my surprise when Batshit Crazy in Connecticut makes the same mistake, giving me access to all her files, which were immediately copied and sent to a number of secure locations. I also discovered that she had been linking to a file in a private directory of mine, so I replaced the file. Her attempt to then get the file removed anonymously was tripped up enough to reveal her as to culprit and to give me the only plausible method the Global Warming Deniers could have used to get my hard drive and disks removed and/or destroyed. This has implications...

Anyway, these events have given me an entirely different perspective on Global Warming and the denial of it. As a result I very closely watch what is said and not said in the media.

One related thing I should add, the Ice Caps act to regulate the Climates temperature by melting and freezing. If one or both of them melt completely it would be a very bad thing. The next four months may get interesting...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
cole

Post by cole »

The only things in your post that surprises me, foxd, is that Batshit Crazy was capable of linking to a folder in your private directory. I have family who responsibly grows beautiful yellow groove in Westport, by the way.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

cole wrote:The only things in your post that surprises me, foxd, is that Batshit Crazy was capable of linking to a folder in your private directory. I have family who responsibly grows beautiful yellow groove in Westport, by the way.
Not really a surprise, I had posted the link here on Bambooweb and she'd copied the link and was using it for her own purposes. She had been watching the discussion about her vendetta very closely. She had also downloaded several pdf files I'd also posted links to as well which implies she had been going back through old postings.

In her files there are lots of notes and pictures she'd taken stalking neighborhoods with notes of her encounters. She had a lot of help by one person named Terri Groff who also stalked neighborhoods.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
cole

Post by cole »

foxd wrote: Not really a surprise, I had posted the link here on Bambooweb and she'd copied the link and was using it for her own purposes. She had been watching the discussion about her vendetta very closely. She had also downloaded several pdf files I'd also posted links to as well which implies she had been going back through old postings.

In her files there are lots of notes and pictures she'd taken stalking neighborhoods with notes of her encounters. She had a lot of help by one person named Terri Groff who also stalked neighborhoods.
Oh, gotcha. To be fair, if you post a link anywhere on the web it's gonna be sniffed by search engine spiders - and maybe even low IQ nutjobs turning a neighbor dispute into a dopey crusade. I would have quietly responded with a boot sector virus, but I'm an unscrupulous dick. Peace.