Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' Very pale Variegation

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' Very pale Variegatio

Post by Tarzanus »

I planted it into bigger container and placed it outside. It just became too big to be kept inside with all those runners. I damaged 3 of them and decided it's time to take it out. It also dried out completely two times in the same week, but it bounced right back after watering. It's really is a survivor.

Never seen such roots:
http://cold-hardy.com/phyllostachys-arc ... hs/hdr-41/
It looks like this now:
http://cold-hardy.com/phyllostachys-arc ... hs/hdr-40/
Much larger pot shoud be enough for a while:
http://cold-hardy.com/phyllostachys-arc ... hs/hdr-39/
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I fear that no pot can hold it, small dogs and feral children are surely at risk.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

:mrgreen:

Well I can say it's not lucky bamboo. After my torture, I planted it outside into a larger pot. Did OK for a couple of days, but stronger sun and wind sucked the water out faster than inside. It had lost a lot of roots as well, when I tried to get it out of its overcrowded pot, so it might have been a bit more vulnerable at that point. It did ok nevertheless. Then a couple of frosts came, some leaves have minor burns and it completely stopped growing, but it remained green and shows normal leaf transpiration. Then snow came and managed to physically damage some of the culms. Bamboo remained alive but with absolutely no new growth. Now, daily lows rose to about 10°C and highs above 20°C, but it remains dormant.

I'm sure it's doing something inside the pot, but it still feels I've made it suffer by placing it outside too early. Well, it will surely recover.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

The vigorous green seedling is now stable - roots can already be found on the bottom of the new pot. The variegated seedlings were all neglected (severe lack of space and time) and the large variegated seedling finally got planted outside into raised bed with the veggies. It started to look somewhat darker and the variegation pattern remained similar. It looks ratty though, overwatering, underwatering, too little light, too much direct sun,... Successflly kept it alive though :mrgreen:

PS: Leaf colour and amount of green might be related to amount of received light. I've kept it further from the light source and it turned darker green. It's now in full sun outside, growing in rich compost-soil mix.

PS2: Unvariegated plant started shooting after transplant shock. Seems to be recovering :)
Attachments
luteosulcata-variegated-seedling-small.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It's now planted outside in rich compost, peat moss and just a bit of garden soil and sand for the texture. It seems the leaves are going to become quite dark. The process began while it was still inside the pot, but moved away from the strongest light exposure - actually it was kind of shaded most of the time. Now it's in full sun and it finally started unfolding the leaves it started growing before I planted it outside. Since it's much colder outside (temps dropped to 5╔°C on several occasions) than warm 23 do 25°C inside, it got stunted for a while. It also lost some of the roots in the process and some to serious root rot while still in the pot (how much I hate that).

Well, back to the pictures. It decided to start shooting. Shoots seem to be pale, which is good sign for me :mrgreen: , but the top leaves almost got dark green with strange looking stripy pattern. Fading of light green to yellow is still occurring. Culms that were bright red earlier, lost their tan (been shaded for a few months already). There are more shoots than ever before, which is another good sign and there's no sun-burn. In a month or so I'll hopefully see further development when all the new shoots leaf out. I'll write a bit more about it then.'Till then, over and out. :)
Attachments
IMG_20160524_085825.jpg
IMG_20160524_085841.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Abundance of rain and all kind of critters, leafhoppers, red spider mites, aphids,... have made my youngest bamboos look rather bad. The most evident is the damage on the variegated seedling. I introduced a predator - chinese praying mantis and it loves it! Too early to tell if there's less damage, but there's certainly less vermin on it. Rainy weather is going to end tomorrow and we'll receive summer temperatures with around or above 30°C.
Attachments
IMG_20160619_165705.jpg
IMG_20160619_165642.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

No pics, just an update. All three variegated seedlings still show variegation, but ended up completely shaded by a forest of my chilies. Didn't expect them to grow that much this season, usually, I have smaller peppers. Well, they are shaded out and there don't seem to be any issues.
The mostly green seedling shows variegation which usually shows as one stripe on the left edge of the leaf, sometimes there are gradient-like variegations of dark-light green colors.
The middle seedling, when it comes to the 'strenght' of variegation, survived and pushed out two small but, nicely variegated shoots. The leaves are not as green (on some leaves of the previously mentioned seedling it can be hard to say if there's any variegation at all) as with the seedling above and so far, doesn't emerge completely yellow, as the leaves on the most variegated seedling.
The third one, the oldest and the most variegated seedling stopped shooting . I'm hoping it will start pushing out rhizomes, but I kind of doubt it can reach that phase just yet. The completely yellow leaves turn brown and die off in a matter of a few weeks. The greener the leaves emerge, the better they fare against browning, which may be caused by direct sunlight damage. The leaves color is still acting the same, first leave is usually completely yellow and after that, they gradually get more and more green, until they turn into almost completely dark green, healthy looking leaf. Every shoot acts the same, each branch as well. Don't know about branches that grow further up the culm, still too small to tell. Since it's being shaded most of the day, new "blank" leaves ceased to deteriorate. When the full sun got them, they could get bleached and turned necrotic in just a few days.

Regarding the super-vigorous non variegated seedling - it's still growing. It stopped shooting and I recently noticed it continued to grow rhizomes just under (or dolphining) the soil level and is now again getting crowded with thin runners pushing into all directions. It stopped shooting during it's first growing year. Now I can only expect it to shoot in the spring and perhaps a couple of mid-season shoots in late summer. This guy is developing quickly! I'm keeping it slightly thirsty and despite fertilization, all new leaves show nutrient deficiency. It just grows too fast for a container plant.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

http://cold-hardy.com/phyllostachys-arc ... 10-months/

The large seedling is running insanely. The pot is getting crowded again.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think they were waaaay too shaded. The most variegated seedlings are the same size, perhaps even with a couple of leaves less. Won't happen again. :)

Here,s an update
http://cold-hardy.com/variegated-phyllo ... 16-update/

Should I leave them outside? I think I'll try overwintering them again, they are not large anyway...
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It looks like the P. arcana 'Lurteosulcata' seedlings are quite cold hardy. I've had issues with all potted seedlings in the past, but these don't seem to be bothered by cold. So far, some of them survived -8°C, being frozen solid for a few days, warming up again in the sun and freezing again during the night. Most of them look exactly like they looked before the first frost.

I've seen one that I left in the shade inside a bamboo grove to recover. During the summer it completely dried out and lost all leaves. I've seen it today and it started shooting! It's -8°C during the mornings and slightly above freezing during the day. New shoots (they are actually large!) appeared even on some of tiny culms, growing from up to the third node. I have taken that one and placed it into protected but sun exposed raised garden bed. Seedlings are tough to kill. That's all what I can say. I did my worst taking care of them and most are still hanging on. Seeing those numerous and large shoot buds, I'm convinced they are aggressive. I have never seen bamboo handled poorly do that good. I have a couple in a deep tray that got filled with rain and the seedlings inside are still alive, enclosed in a pool of solid frozen water. I'll plant all the survivors into my raised bed next year. They deserve better. :P

The largest and most aggressive Luteosulcata seedling is in complete shade somewhat protected. Hasn't lost a leaf yet so far.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Here's an update

These are just crazy... Looks like almost any P. arcana 'Luteosulcata' seedling has a potential to become super invasive.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

That thing really wants some foliar mass.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Now I'm certain the infection has halted. All the new shoot seem to be healthy and the brown leaves have stopped spreading completely. I think aspirin is working as it stopped at the same time, when I sprayed with it for the first time. Branches and shoots are also related to the same treatment. There is some minor fertilizer burn, but they are more than happy at the moment, all pushing out new shoots including the more variegated ones. The green one is officially crazy. :mrgreen:
p-luteosulcata-seedlings.jpg
p-aureosulcata-leaves.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

The seedlings I have placed into my raised bed started shooting. They are tiny little ones I picked to plant in late autumn to test their hardiness. It was covered with clear PVC cover during the winter, but the soil froze completely. I guess they would look roughly the same with no protection. They wouldn't start shooting that early though. Sun is quite high already which warmed up the soil considerably. There will be no large upsize, because the seedlings were really the smallest one stem seedlings.

No leaf damage on any of them. Leaves got nice waxy feeling, got thick and their veins became yellow. I'll have to take a couple of photos, before they start growing again.

The vigorous seedling in the pot I left in the basement for too long and which started elongating it's buds prematurely was set back when I took it outside again. Morning temps were around -3°C and daily highs above +10°C. Pot is black and it warms up quite easily, which caused it to leave the dormancy. I have now seen even more buds (it will get extremely dense in a month or two!) that will break out any day now. There are 3 or 4 shoots starting to poke out in the middle of the pot as well. Size? At this point it doesn't seem that they will get any larger than they were last year. I have a feeling that the larger ones will appear a bit later and won't be coming from the center of the pot. It must be doing something spectacular, because it drains the water I give it in less than 3 days. I'm not sure if it needed that much water last year during the summer when fully leafed.

Variegated ones are still inside. I stopped spraying them with aspirin and they immediately started turning black again. Aspirin made them grow way too many branches and shoots while their culms were stunted and only managed to grow like 20 cm tall. Not bad actually, for indoor overwintering when space is an issue. I will now spray them with fungicide thoroughly to see if it helps. More info soon hopefully with some photos.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Variegated seedlings are not in their best condition, again, but the seedlings I have left outside during the winter are doing exceptionally well! I'm not sure if they will get as easily sun tanned as they do now and if the color will be as intense, I can only hope...

It's an insane upsize for a tiny little seedling that was placed in complete shade last year. Photos were taken with my shitty phone camera in a bright sunny day.
IMG_20170509_122807.jpg
IMG_20170509_122820 (1).jpg