Buying more acreage for Boo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Buying more acreage for Boo

Post by needmore »

Sounds great, I'm presently looking for a rental somewhere on the east side of Sac which means I'll be in a hotter,drier area so I'm going to play with some bambusa there. Like you I will have to continue container growing for another lease term. I currently live in Camino and work in Placerville so I'm in the area even after I move and we can hook up.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Cool I used to live in east sac, message me if you want some neighborhood info. I will be nearby as well. I have some oldhami and golden goddess growing at a place of mine in downtown Sac, but love the phyllos up in the colder areas we live. Will be great to link up. Here is a pic of my first few digs of some spectabilis, vivax and black as I am trying to get divisions now before we leave.
Attachments
IMG_0709.JPG
needmore

Post by needmore »

Those look great, nice work! I'm going to try some of the fancy yellow forms of bambusa in the Sacramento area in pots. I'll have my Phy's, sasa, fargesia, indocalamus, etc along for the ride.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I help move for bamboo . Just throwing it out there :D
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:I help move for bamboo . Just throwing it out there :D
I might throw a couple your way even with no move help! For sure I'll have Doug Fir if you want it, no point in torturing the poor thing down slope.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

needmore wrote:
I might throw a couple your way even with no move help! For sure I'll have Doug Fir if you want it, no point in torturing the poor thing down slope.
Brad if you are In the lower foothills as long as your not in a valley or north side of a hill you should give Bambusa Chungii , Clone x and Lako a go and see how they do
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:
needmore wrote:
Brad if you are In the lower foothills as long as your not in a valley or north side of a hill you should give Bambusa Chungii , Clone x and Lako a go and see how they do
Good suggestions. I've got my eye on these...

Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens'
Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' - Asian Lemon Bamboo
Bambusa pervariabilis 'Viridistriata'- Sunburst Bamboo
Dendrocalamus minor 'Amoenus' - Angel Mist Bamboo

Have a showing in R Cordova and Shingle Springs this weekend, I think either one would be warmer by several degrees than we we are now. I have that sasa for you and an aurea if you want it, not sure if you have?
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

needmore wrote:
Cooper12 wrote:
needmore wrote:

Have a showing in R Cordova and Shingle Springs this weekend, I think either one would be warmer by several degrees than we we are now. I have that sasa for you and an aurea if you want it, not sure if you have?
I'll take the sasa which aurea? I'm not a fan of phyllostachys aurea unless it's variegated. :)
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

I have been digging like a wild man. I still have 27 more stands of boo in the ground and I've already got like 20 15 gallon containers full of divisions.

Today I was really surprised when digging a smaller Decora I put in the ground only 7 months ago. It had rhizomes running like 3-4 feet from the main planting. I couldn't believe it moved that much in only 7 months so I posted a few pics. Sorry the top one is sideways. Whoops.

Can't wait to take all these plantings down the hill to some warmer weather. They are going to explode. PS I'll move for boo too! I have a truck and a trailer :) Look forward to seeing your guys boos sometime in the future!
Attachments
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:
needmore wrote:
Cooper12 wrote:
needmore wrote:

I'll take the sasa which aurea? I'm not a fan of phyllostachys aurea unless it's variegated. :)
Not variegated, it is a green one I rescued from the middle of a blackberry patch in the yard here. I could paint some stripes on it?
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Haha nice we should be getting our kanapaha divisions soon to . I can grab it then or sooner if you want whatever works best for you. I vote shingle springs over rancho Cordova any day :)
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Cooper12 wrote:Haha nice we should be getting our kanapaha divisions soon to . I can grab it then or sooner if you want whatever works best for you. I vote shingle springs over rancho Cordova any day :)

I have 3 showings scheduled this weekend and hopefully will be moving soon after if one of them works out. No hurry on the plants we can coordinate that easily - don't forget your Doug Fir!
mountainbamboonut

Don't do Rancho Cordova!!! Yikes!!! Grew up near there haha. Stay in EDC.
needmore

Post by needmore »

mountainbamboonut wrote:Don't do Rancho Cordova!!! Yikes!!! Grew up near there haha. Stay in EDC.
Girlfriend's commute is too far to stay in Camino and I can't find any listings in EDC so looking halfway and halfway is well, urban sprawl...
mountainbamboonut

If you are going to do Rancho Cordova for location then just do Fair Oaks which is less than 10 minutes away and completely different. There are some sweet boo stands in Fair Oaks actually along some homes that back up to the American River. Lots of suburban sprawl all through the 50 corridor unfortunately. Old town Fair Oaks is the only thing remotely charming through there. It is pretty nice with a small town main street feel and tons of hens and roosters cruising around the streets.