Bamboo and carbon absorbsion, oxyegen and biomass production

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Bamboo and carbon absorbsion, oxyegen and biomass production

Post by dependable »

This would be a place to share any information, as in study results or any other scientific format, or anecdotal evidence, that illustrates the value of bamboo in helping the atmosphere, soil or other environmental assets.
GrowingHabit

Re: Bamboo and carbon absorbsion, oxyegen and biomass produc

Post by GrowingHabit »

This is not specifically about bamboo- but this link, I think to part 4 but you can back up and find part 'introduction' of this lecture- is the most valuable place to start about soil, period. Changed my thinking entirely. I think if you watch this, it will change the question your asking, to a degree. Applying this knowledge to our bamboo is something I'm in the middle of working on, but the weather is so foul, all we're doing is roof repairs and no garden things at the moment. I'm actually just dying to share this stuff and using your question very loosely to do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qHX6PPTlY

(edit to add the link to part 1- introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBIxFA ... XsdetZ6x_U )
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I think that members of the ABS have received articles on this in either/both the ABS magazine or the bamboo & Science & Culture Journal. Might be possible to get permission to paste them in here?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dependable

Post by dependable »

GH, that video is kind of interesting to me. As a soil science student in the early '80s, on of my proffs was one of the (old) men who were instrumental in the 'green revolution' mentioned of the 1930s. He taught a class called 'soil fertility.' Even then some of us joked it should be 'the history of soil fertility'. The emphasis of most of the classes, especially the ones aimed at ag students, was to dump a lot of NPK and keep the bugs and weeds at bay with the proper chemical applications.

A few of the young grad students were just beginning to explore the nature and benefits of soil mycorrhiza.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Growing bamboo is a pastime, a concept, a nod toward aesthetic-environmentalism, with great appeal for the scientist and the artist alike...

top o' the mornin' to everyone. :)

Catch Howard Garrett (Dallas-Fort Worth) radio broadcast online (9am-noon Sunday's). Individual callers frequently report their findings using sometimes novel organic approaches to soil, micro-environment, and plant management. The host is sharp, but with an East Texas drawl, polite and an excellent listener. New ideas based on an often gestalt-ish approach generate themselves through Howard's and the audience 's experimentation and participation.

Mackel
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Well, anyways, I just read that and it sounds like an endorsement.

Last year I piled on 8 inches of shredded tree trimmings (holly and cottonwood) and two inches of bamboo shavings everywhere, bought a Yorkshire terrier puppy and let her to her own devices and dig around, she smells a mole ya thank?

I used organic citrus fertilizer on a few newly planted citrus, yes (!) we have 3 sweet cold-hardy Orange trees inground zone 7b-8a. Owari Satsuma, Arctic Frost, and Orange Frost. The bamboo is heavy in the northern and western areas of our house property -> we have created a micro-climate, yes.

Mackel
Last edited by Mackel in DFW on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Sorry, my fellow bamuseros, I repeat myself. I had bought a 7 (?) hp shredder last Spring and heavily thinned out everything but the tallest culms, then wore the blades out on that Chinese firecracker and gave away 5 yards of bamboo; we ran it through our arborist' neighbor's $40,000 shredder
for his garden.

Thanks for wading through,

Mackel