Possible variegation

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Possible variegation

Post by Tarzanus »

I'm growing several seedlings from Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' seeds and one seems to be showing some signs of variegation. As much as I would like it to be variegated, it's too early and it could be a "lost case" seedling because of bad genetics and lack of chlorophyll. Anyway What do you think, is it going to survive and is it going to remain (become) nicely variegated. I hope for Yes x2. :mrgreen:

LINK: Here are some more pics and a short text about the seedling.

Last edited by Tarzanus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarzanus

Re: Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' possible variegation

Post by Tarzanus »

The leaves appear light green with only slightly visible variegation, stripe is only a tiny bit darker than the rest of the leaf. In a couple of days as the leaf starts maturing, the green from around the leaf ends up being somehow relocated into the dark green part of the leaf, leaving most of the leaf yellowish or cream-white with normal dark green colored stripe(s).

All other seedlings in the same pot are growing normally, one of the seedlings had a overwatering burn in early stage of growth and is now doing fine. In a week or so, I'll be able to see the first leaf of the shoot. It's a bit thinner than sgoots on dark green seedlings, but it doesn't look pale.

If it would end up being variegated like this and if the variegation would be stable, I'm guessing the bamboo would not be the most vigorous, but it would be extremely white looking. Like Okina almost.. The leaves are still young and immature, soft and a bit fuzzy. Who knows ... I hope for it to be variegated :)

Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Me too, keep posting updates
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Shoot seems to be the same, mostly yellow with thin green stripe in the middle.
It dried out too much again in the meantime, so I watered it thoroughly and added mild solution of liquid fertilizer for the first time. Other bamboos in the same pot are staring to grow too fast, for this, almost albino, seedling, so I'll just plant them into separate pots in the following week.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

URL

Remains variegated after 3 months. Grows slower though..
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Seems that pictures no longer get posted.. Added URL link below.