Tropical bamboo rhizome control barrier

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

JohnC
Location info: 33

Re: RE: Tropical bamboo rhizome control barrier

Post by JohnC »

Alan_L wrote:I'm still befuddled as to why the pavers actually work and stop the shoots. Are the shoots of temperate runners (Phyllostachys for instance) that much more sturdy? There have been several examples of shoots "gone wild" on the forum I thought.
I am too as well, I imagine it's a clumper and the pavers are causing the ground to be so dry that it just doesn't like going there.
webgator
Location info: 0

Post by webgator »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:The blocks will work on Oldhamii also. I have a friend who lined a bed in the back yard with small paving stones in a circular fashion. When the Oldhamii grew out to the stones it stopped spreading. She was expecting it to lift the stones and she planned on moving them out further when it did. It just stopped the spread, never lifted them.
When you say small pavers, are we talking like 3x6x2 inch blocks?

Just curious...
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
VanDell

Post by VanDell »

Roy wrote:
"Hole" lotta work digging those trenches.
Roy,

you tropical Guys are too funny! Never digged a trench for a Rhizome Barrier to control a Phyllostachys, did you?
While you tropical Guys sit on the patio and drink cold beer, I myself, with a spade in my hands, fight my private trench warfare to get my temperate bamboos under control.

:wink:

Yes, ... I have to admit ... I'm kind of jealous! :(
VanDell

Pimp your garden - grow bamboo!
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Tropical bamboo rhizome control barrier

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

They were small stones simular to what Roy describes. Irregular shapped natural rock that was flat for paving. They were flat and not much bigger than a foot or so wide/long and a few inches think.

<snip>
"you tropical Guys are too funny! Never digged a trench for a Rhizome Barrier to control a Phyllostachys, did you?
While you tropical Guys sit on the patio and drink cold beer, I myself, with a spade in my hands, fight my private trench warfare to get my temperate bamboos under control."

You know, now that you mention it, a lot of that does go on. We have friendly bamboo :P
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

VanDell wrote:
Roy,

you tropical Guys are too funny! Never digged a trench for a Rhizome Barrier to control a Phyllostachys, did you?
While you tropical Guys sit on the patio and drink cold beer, I myself, with a spade in my hands, fight my private trench warfare to get my temperate bamboos under control.

:wink:

Yes, ... I have to admit ... I'm kind of jealous! :(
Early on I did have some temperate bamboos, and I did put down some rhizome barriers in the ground. But, over a period of time, they all eventually escaped and I eventually quit working with temperate bamboos. For the climate that we have here in central Florida, tropicals do the best anyway.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Roy

Post by Roy »

webgator wrote:
Bamboo Outlaw wrote:The blocks will work on Oldhamii also. I have a friend who lined a bed in the back yard with small paving stones in a circular fashion. When the Oldhamii grew out to the stones it stopped spreading. She was expecting it to lift the stones and she planned on moving them out further when it did. It just stopped the spread, never lifted them.
When you say small pavers, are we talking like 3x6x2 inch blocks?

Just curious...
What I've used is what I call patio stones. I've used 2 sizes. 12"X12"X2" and 16"X16"X2.
Roy Rogers
gbock
Location info: 73

Post by gbock »

Roy wrote:I'm trying it out on some B. chungii, which for me is a fairly open clumper. I'm using 16 inch barriers to see if it will work on the B. chungii. My B. chungil new rhizomes come off the mother plant fairly deep in the ground, and being fairly open, then it may hit the barrier and slide over and come up on the other side. I should be able to tell if the 16 inch works with the new culms that shoot this Summer.
Roy,

I just came across this thread. It's very pertinent to my situation since I have several clumpers in-ground on our tiny suburban lot.

When you have a moment, could you comment on your experience with B. chungii? Did the 16-inch paving stones keep in in check?

Thank you!

Gerhard
Check out my blog at http://www.bambooandmore.info.
Roy

Post by Roy »

gbock wrote:
Roy wrote:I'm trying it out on some B. chungii, which for me is a fairly open clumper. I'm using 16 inch barriers to see if it will work on the B. chungii. My B. chungil new rhizomes come off the mother plant fairly deep in the ground, and being fairly open, then it may hit the barrier and slide over and come up on the other side. I should be able to tell if the 16 inch works with the new culms that shoot this Summer.
Roy,

I just came across this thread. It's very pertinent to my situation since I have several clumpers in-ground on our tiny suburban lot.

When you have a moment, could you comment on your experience with B. chungii? Did the 16-inch paving stones keep in in check?

Thank you!

Gerhard

I haven't had any shoots to come up on the backside of the barrier. What I'm currently seeing is that the flashing and concrete blocks are beginning to lift up in the middle of the barrier. So I'm not quite sure how it's going to work with my B. chungii. Just keep in mind that my B. chungii gets in the 3" by 50 foot range.

Roy
Roy Rogers
gbock

Re: Tropical bamboo rhizome control barrier

Post by gbock »

Roy, thank you for the update. It sure sounds like your chungii wants to break free :-).

I have a chungii 'Barbelleta' in the ground so hopefully it will not only be smaller than the regular chungii but also easier to contain with flashing and pavers.

In your experience, does the Barbellata indeed grow to 2/3 of the size of a regular chungii? That seems to be the number most people mention but here in Northern California there are precious few chungii, let alone Barbellatas, to look at.

Thanks again.

Gerhard
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

From what I've seen Barbi grows at least 80% as large as the standard. The real difference is that it grows much more dense. The std. chungii grows in a loose clump with a lot of space between the culms. Barbi on the other hand grows very tight with no space between culms. If I was told I could only grow one of the two I would pick Barbi without a second thought. It is a much nicer looking plant.
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:From what I've seen Barbi grows at least 80% as large as the standard. The real difference is that it grows much more dense. The std. chungii grows in a loose clump with a lot of space between the culms. Barbi on the other hand grows very tight with no space between culms. If I was told I could only grow one of the two I would pick Barbi without a second thought. It is a much nicer looking plant.
Some of my Texas friends like the Barbi better, but my B. chungii, with it's size and dense white powder, is a sight to behold.

Roy
Roy Rogers
gbock

Post by gbock »

mantis wrote:From what I've seen Barbi grows at least 80% as large as the standard. The real difference is that it grows much more dense. The std. chungii grows in a loose clump with a lot of space between the culms. Barbi on the other hand grows very tight with no space between culms. If I was told I could only grow one of the two I would pick Barbi without a second thought. It is a much nicer looking plant.
Mantis, excellent! That's exactly what I wanted to hear considering my Barbi is in our front yard. I was hoping to get the beauty of a regular chungii in a tighter package.

I tell you, this thing is a powerhouse! I planted it in the spring from a 3-gallon mail order plant with wispy 1/4" culms. Now, 6 months later, it's tripled in size and has culms that are a good 3/4".