privacy screen selection? combining tall and short?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bb2by2
Location info: 0

privacy screen selection? combining tall and short?

Post by bb2by2 »

hello
there are a number of posts already concerning choices for a privacy screen, however my question is unanswered.

i am searching for what bamboo species to use for a privacy screen for the backyard of:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/124+W ... c2fd?hl=en

(the house is on the market, i dont own it, but considering the possibilities)

as can be seen, the west and south sides of the backyard are in partial shade, otherwise it appears to be full sun all around. zone 6

there is a fence, but it is only 5 feet high. there are some trees for privacy, but not enough

so....i am looking for selection advice for a tall bamboo specie AND a short one.
the tall species obviously lack leaves for screening near ground level, and i would like to "fill in the gaps" with a short (15') bushy specie.

advice?

other issues, there are the rare snow falls of over one foot, so the bamboo must be strong. and i would also prefer fast growing and low maintenance (ie raking leaves, if this is even an issue)
dependable

Re: privacy screen selection? combining tall and short?

Post by dependable »

A simple choice would be Phyllostachys Bissetti. It is very hardy, fast growing and between intermediate and tall in height. It usually puts out smaller culms (12-16 ft) for a several years before putting up full height culms (approx 25 ft) and fills in densely. It is a very effective privacy screen.

Most of the intermediate varieties I am aware of will suffer occasional die back in zone 6.

If you are looking for something more decorative, that is almost as hardy, Phyllostachys aueosulcata 'spectabilis' is a nice choice, but probably not reach the density of bissetti.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I second Ph. bissetii as a choice for screening, as mine has created a dense mass of smaller culms while still being at least 15' tall.

I've heard that Ph. rubromarginata is a good choice too, but can't confirm that.
philippe smets

Post by philippe smets »

Henonis is a great choice too, tall bamboo , with lots of leaves from the bottom to the top of the culms :wink:
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

how cold does it get there? what about Semiarundinaria fastuosa
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
dependable

Post by dependable »

The original poster said they were in zone 6. Am in 7a myself and my sa fastuosa does pretty well, but gets very beat up with a lot of leaf burn after colder winters. Bissetti stays green in same conditions.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

dependable wrote:The original poster said they were in zone 6. Am in 7a myself and my sa fastuosa does pretty well, but gets very beat up with a lot of leaf burn after colder winters. Bissetti stays green in same conditions.

ok saw that. looks like 6B it doesn't get anywhere near so cold out here so I'm no help, the wind tatters the fastuosa leaves somewhat out here but coldest mine have seen are 14 degrees
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

I would consider color blending.

How about a mixed planting, alternate plants of Phyllostachys atrovaginata (very dark green, not at all pale) with Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis (Bright yellow culms) - both tend to have branches all the way to the ground. Both are evergreen in zone 6, and rhizome hardy much colder than zone 6.

But for covering the first couple of feet, consider Sassaella masamuniana albovariegata Nice bold variegation. I have had foliage survive in good shape through -8 F, especially if the leaves are in the shade. Which under the taller bamboo it would be.

Or you could go with Plieoblastus fortunei - also variegated, may get a little beat up in winter.

Pleioblastus viridi-striata is very lovely, and rhizomes are very hardy, but foliage would get beat up every winter, needing to be mowed in spring, before new culms come up.

For a texture change, you could use one of the shorter Indocalmus species or Sasa species.